Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are all the SWB RHD 911s?

Where are all the SWB RHD 911s?

Hi all,

I am seeking a SWB 911 for use as a daily driver in Australia, hence the desire for a RHD. Not having much luck locally as the limited available vehicles are high end or asking high end prices anyway.

Can anybody suggest some good resources (web sites, contacts, publications, anything) that can help with RHD vehicles in the UK, South Africa or other RHD markets?

Thanks
    Dirk

Most of the RHD SWB in the UK have rusted away !
    That's why the Brits are buying up all of the California LHD examples.

Better bite the bullet and pony up for a rust-free Ausy car.

There are quite a few RHD good examples down there.

Have you spoken with Alex ?

Dirk,

I've been down this road with a couple of LWB pre 74 911's - once from NZ and I have one ready to go into the container in the UK. In my view, these are the easier markets to buy from with NZ only really having one website to search and the UK only a few.

You will need to source someone local to do a PPI, especially in the UK, as Baron's UK rust comment is spot on. The rust friendly conditions there can not be underestimated... A car considered to have a 'little' rust in the UK can have an Aussie panel beater running for the hills.

I recently went looking for a RHD early Targa (Targa's only being made RHD in 1973) and was very suprised how many had rusted away and how few remained.

I've also tried the Singapore, Hong Kong and South African markets but never had much luck. I might be generalising, but I've also seen some cars with truly shoddy work/mods come out of HK. I'm sure there are some great cars in SA due to the racing history of that country but they seem hard to uncover.

Good luck.
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Websites

Quote Originally Posted by obrut View Post
    Dirk,

I've been down this road with a couple of LWB pre 74 911's - once from NZ and I have one ready to go into the container in the UK. In my view, these are the easier markets to buy from with NZ only really having one website to search and the UK only a few.

Good luck.
    Ryan,

Pleased to hear this is a road that has been travelled. I have identified several UK and NZ websites, but am finding it difficult to identify the best source. Can you please let me know which site you have found the most useful in your searching.

Thanks,

Dirk.

just wondering how much does a well sort RHD SWB non number matching car go for in AUS now days?
    regards
    tenn

Dirk,

Whereabouts are you ?

Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Adelaide

Quote Originally Posted by gulf908 View Post
    Dirk,

Whereabouts are you ?

Dennis.
    Hi Dennis,

Sorry didn't realise my location was not in my profile. I am in Adelaide.

Dirk.

try here

www.ddk-online.com

best resource for early Porsches in the UK
    1973 2.4S
    1993 964 C2
    987 Boxster Spyder

'hot66'
    www.ddk-online.com

Dirk

If you are not already a member I would suggest you join Porsche Club of South Australia.

Next stop is to have a chat with Mark Poole at Mark Poole Motor Sport followed by Mark Buik at Buik Motorworks.

Are you a member of the Australian TYP901 Register - www.typ901.org ?

I know Phil Lack had a 68 S for sale, not sure if still available.......

Cheers

Cam
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    Most of the RHD SWB in the UK have rusted away !
    The facts are that between 1966 and 1972 there were fewer than 50 RHD S models imported to the UK by AFN in each model year ( I am only talking about S models here).

They have not rusted away, there were very few of them in the first place.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681