Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What material is correct for a 73T interior?

What material is correct for a 73T interior?

I am beginning the process of restoring the interior in a 73T and I have discovered two different grains of material that exist. In the picture below I show one piece of material that has a significant grain to it. It is covering the door panels only. And then in the second picture below I show a finer grain material that is covering all the other panels of the interior. And what I'd like to know is . . . assuming the material I'm showing is factory correct . . . which one is correct for each interior piece?

Thanks in advance for your feedback . . .

The major interior pieces in question are:

1) Door Panels
    2) Rear Quarter Panels (including the curved piece that covers the wheel well)
    3) Seatbelt Receiver Covers (it is a 73)
    4) Rear Deck Panel (below the rear window)

First Picture - Material A (significant grain)
    Second Picture - Material B (finer grain)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tom Ching
    69E Burgundy

Hi Tom!

The first picture you showed is the correct material... more heavily grained. Tony has some new material he has found in the last year that replicates it pretty well.

I have some panels that might work for you, please email me or call and we can see if I might have something for you. Tony might also have some spare panels as well, never know!

regards,
    Eric
    elinden @ earthlink.net

Eric, is the correct material for the door panels the same material used on the 69-73 door pockets? I think picture 2 is quite similar to many door pockets I have seen. Looks similar to the vinyl on the later 74+ pockets?

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

John,

The door pockets from 69 to 73 are all the same material and look like the second picture material.

The vinyl in the first picture is the same for 1972 and 1973. I'm not familiar with the 1974 and later vinyl's.

Eric

member #1515
    Yes the second one is used on door pockets, visors, armrests, targa bolsters and dash. The first is seats, door panels etc. I think the second material is also correct for the back hat shelf area and trim.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Hi,

just so I understand, by dash do you mean the dash trim, where the older cars had basket weave? I'm at that stage with my resto now, and need to buy new vinyl to them.

Thanks,

Johan

The first material (heavier grained) is correct for the face of the dash where the older cars had the basketweave.

@aircooledph on Instagram jaldeguer's Avatar
    Sorry to have to revive this thread but can't seem to find better reference for the kinds of Vinyl used for 72/73 interiors.

My understanding is that there were two different types of vinyl used for 72-73 cars. Does everyone concur?

I would appreciate it very much if someone could post clear pictures of the grain of both types of vinyl and indicate for clearly where they were used.

Thank you.

Jay

member #1515
    Yes there were 2 different vinyls as pictured above by the OP. How they were used was also correctly answered in the previous posts.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Here's my list, which should be consistent with the above, and adds a few pieces. I'm in the process of doing this now. It seems a bit odd that the front comfort seats are the fine vinyl, while the headrests are coarse, but that's what Autos sent. The seats have houndstooth inserts, which may make a difference. [Edit: AI sent the correct coarse seat covers -- see post #17]

Dash fascia (coarse)
    Door panels (coarse)
    Door pockets (fine)
    Side panel/wheel hump cover (coarse)
    Seat belt reel cover (fine)
    Trim pieces above side panels/below 1/4 window (fine)
    Rear vertical panel (coarse), hat shelf (fine) and in-between piece (fine)
    Lower B pillar cover (coarse)
    Upper B pillar cover (fine)
    Headrests (coarse)
    Rear seats (coarse)
    Front comfort seats with houndstooth inserts (coarse)
    Last edited by rpc356; 08-04-2015 at 04:11 AM. Reason: seat covers coarse, no fine
    --Richard
    Early 911S Registry #2337