Thread: '67 headrests

'67 headrests

according to my coa, my car came with headrests that were the same as found on a '67. based on johnson's book, those would be the headrests that mount on the backs of the seats, i think.

the first question is, am i correct in my conclusion? (my car is actually a VERY early '68.)

the second question is, are those things available, what are all of the parts i'd need, and how much should i expect to pay?

thank you.

ms

I had a very early 911L that had elepahant hyde, 356 style headrests, and 67S rocker deco. I'm certain it was original.

You can by repro early headrests. They screw into the back of your seat frames through the vinyl with sheet metal screws.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Here is a picture of my original '66 912 w/ headrests. You can buy VG repros w/ all hardware or go for original 'rests' w/ original hardware. Prices vary and depends on your look.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914

Here is a photo of my 67 with factory headrest. If you come across some red ones I may be interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Bob Campbell has been selling these for years. He is highly regarded in 356 circles.

http://www.356sales.com/headrest.html
    - Neil
    '67 911S (Ol' Ivory)
    '82 Hewlett Packard 34C
    Early 911S Registry # 512

67= attached to the back of the seat
    68= twin posts in the seat back

what color are your recliner tubes, silver or black? Silver = pre 68, black =68.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    67= attached to the back of the seat
    68= twin posts in the seat back
    COA info is certainly unreliable. I doubt the seats in my early L were earlier models that someone recovered in elephant hyde and affixed the old style headrest to. The chassis number was 11805007, which makes it the 7th USA L produced according to my book.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Agustin at Autos International sells the headrests covered in the material of your choice.

Manuel

i really love this forum

the discussions are always very informative and precise. thank you all, again.

i realize the coa's are sometimes unreliable, but it's the best information i have, so i'll go with that direction for now, at least.

it was accurate to point out '68 as a transition year for lots of things, which makes the research a bit more difficult.

but according to my research, the headrests mounted onto the backs of the seats were standard for the earliest cars and changed after the first few months of production.

i didn't realize that augustine made them. he'll probably do my seats, so that makes stuff a bit simpler for me.

thanks very much, everyone!

ms