Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering rack cover panel seals fitment Q

Question Steering rack cover panel seals fitment Q

I recently found a steering rack cover panel in pretty good shape to replace the rusty one on my car. I bought two new seals (part # SIC-341-165-00 @ Stoddard) to fit on the panel. The seals don't slip onto the panel readily, as they have metal strips embedded on either side of the opening to help shape them to the panel edges.

Is fitting the seals simply a matter of prying the strips apart, fitting the seal on the panel, then crimping them back together again? I'm sorry I can't find the right words to describe what I'm trying to do, and that I don't have any photos (though I can take them if necessary).

Thanks,
    Ed
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Generally, you are supposed to force the panel edge into the fingers in the rubber seal. Much like putting a computer memory stick into a card edge holder on the motherboard. It is a tight fit, but should work.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

So many questions, so few answers....

Do NOT pry the metal apart.

You want the strip to have a very tight fit. Place the strip over the edge and cover it with a couple layers of a folded towel. Use a heavy rubber mallet to tap/pound the strip down onto the cover. Be sure you have it even with the edge before going across with the rest of the seal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Steering rack cover panel seals fitment Q

Ed, I know EXACTLY what you're up against. When I bought these from Stoddard (these are repops, OEM NLA) they did warn me about a bad fit! Wow, they weren't lying, I eventually got them on with soft blow mallets, spreading the channel with various metal strips, and MUCH cursing of the orientals ability to correctly copy a part. I have installed new originals back when they were available, THEY practically fell on in comparison! Hang in there pard, it's NOT you!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thank you, gentlemen, for the advice. I am armed with a supply of soft blow mallets, towels, and a vocabulary of English and German curse words.

Sacto S: I see this isn't the first time we've discussed Stoddard repro rubber bits.

Ed M: One of these days I hope to make an event where you're present. You've helped me address problems and avoid bigger ones on several occasions. That's worthy of at least a round of the beverage of your choice!
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Quote Originally Posted by teenchy View Post
    Thank you, gentlemen, for the advice. I am armed with a supply of soft blow mallets, towels, and a vocabulary of English and German curse words.
    You are going about this the wrong way. These parts are made in the orient, yes? Perhaps a vocabulary of the orient's curse words would be more effective. Just saying :-) :-)......
    Andy (VA).

Orieintal Vocabulary

Try:

"Dough mama dough dik mao didi mow". Spelled phonectically. Get's the point accross. Just some vague memories of my time in the Orient when I was really pissed off.

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

repro garbage

Here we have another example of the very poor quality of most parts we buy though PORSCHE thinking we are getting the real deal. Just like the replacement dashs that we pay $1500 for. I just finished putting a pair on a car. The problem is that the groove is full of rubber from the manufacturing process. I took a sheetrock knife and ran it up and down the groove so it would at least begin to fit. It still doesn't fit very well, but that's what you have to do just to get to 1st base. It's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by BBausser View Post
    Try:

"Du ma may, dau dit tao, di di mao". Spelled phonectically. Get's the point accross. Just some vague memories of my time in the Orient when I was really pissed off.

Bill
    Bill.

Fixed your Vietnamese for you. I must say, I am a little puzzeled at your second phrase (dau dit tao). It means "my a$$ hurts" . Anyway, I'm not judging, just puzzeled .

Apologies to teenchy for taking this thread off topic.
    Andy (VA).

It's been awhile but I thought it meant get the fugazi outa here.

Bill
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that