Thread: Certificate Of Authenticity

Certificate Of Authenticity

On numerous classifieds, the COA is often mentioned or advised as a way to validate a car and it's history. I was curious if others are satisfied with it....and if it means a lot when the time comes to sell.

The one thing that seems 'out of place' to some degree - is that it often documents a car many years old....yet appears in a stiff bright white sheet of paper with modern print and font....that in my view is not bad, but disappointing for the $100 cost.

Couldn't they age the paper a bit.....darken a little the bright white page....and go with an old world font perhaps....?

....Anyone ?

Coa

I think it has some value. Whether it's worth $100 is a personal decision. At the least it should be able to tell you the engine number of your car. I got one for a car for which I had the original sticker. The first copy had the right VIN but described a completely different car, Targa when it should have been a coupe. They sent me a corrected COA, but the second one had a couple of the options misspelled, "slats" instead of "seats", for example, which they wouldn't reprint after I asked twice.
    Bill Morris

My car was highly modified by the time I got it. My certificate of authenticity was very helpful in telling me how the car was origionally equipped. It was accurate as best I could tell, and made sense for the car. I learned a lot of things about my car by getting it, and think it was $100 well spent.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

No need for a COA for my bone stock euro delivery car. I'll be getting a white piece of paper with a porsche logo and a signature for $100

....Much, much better

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    On numerous classifieds, the COA is often mentioned or advised as a way to validate a car and it's history. I was curious if others are satisfied with it....and if it means a lot when the time comes to sell.

The one thing that seems 'out of place' to some degree - is that it often documents a car many years old....yet appears in a stiff bright white sheet of paper with modern print and font....that in my view is not bad, but disappointing for the $100 cost.

Couldn't they age the paper a bit.....darken a little the bright white page....and go with an old world font perhaps....?

....Anyone ?

I'd be more concerned with the fact that they are often wrong, in one particular case stating that a known-original, non-sunroof coupe was originally delivered with a sunroof. I've also had early car Cs of A come back with late model options.

My opinion is that they are worth as much as the paper they're printed on ... so hope for high quality card stock.

There has been a rumor circulating for some time that Porsche will be releasing Kardex information again in the near future. The rumor I heard was that due to German privacy laws the original owner's personal information is what's preventing Kardexes from being issued. That information needs to be omitted from the Kardex before it can be given to a non-original owner of a car. The rumor also said - and this I heard from a Porsche representative at Rennsport Reunion III - that the Kardex information was being transferred to digital format and that the process was taking longer than expected.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I'm with Marco on this one. I'd much rather have the Kardex (or a scan of it) than the wrong info on my COA. I was pleased to find out that my 73S apparently came delivered wearing a set of 17 inch Cup design wheels.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed for the Kardex to be released.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

If you call PCNA (1-800-Porsche, I think) they will give
    you the info on the CoA over the phone at no charge.
    You must first provide proof of ownership however.
    This paperless service was good enough for me since I have my cars original
    documents anyway, but I wanted to see what info the CoA
    would provide.
    Alan Domme
    Austin, TX
    '68 912 coupe
    '16 VW Golf R
    Early 911S Registry #1361
    912 Registry