Thread: White smoke on start up- and that's my car, not me personally.

Drive it like you stole it Ghost Chaser's Avatar

White smoke on start up- and that's my car, not me personally.

Hi Guys.

I had my 2.2 T motor rebuilt and it was done to a very high standard. I do have one problem though and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what might be going on: The car blows out white smoke on start up, but not all the time. It happens when the motor is cold and also when it's warm; it happens after driving it gently, and happens (perhaps somewhat less) after running it hard, on the rare occasion I can do that.

Though I've been paying close attention to it, I cannot find a pattern. Sometimes, smoke, and lots of it, or sometimes nothing at all. It blows it out and then it's over, meaning it doesn't keep smoking.

It doesn't smoke on throttle lift off, or on hard acceleration (or at least I've haven't noticed it). The smoke is always white. I could post a video if that would help, but I just figured I'd try the experts with text only first.

My mechanic thinks the motor needs to be broken in, and I must admit my driving consists mainly in short runs around town at very low speeds and low RPMs... mostly just driving the kids around, a mile here, five miles there. So it's true the motor never got broken in at high RPMs over any long period.

I will add, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but a full tank gets me 270 kilometers around town, and more than double that on the highway.

Thanks,
    Rich
    Rich

Early S Registry Member #1394.

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

Nothing to worry about here. the telling remark is...

" And happens (prehaps somewhat less) after running it hard, on the rare occasion I can do that."

The white smoke you see is steam, all these early cars do it, Short journeys don`t heat the engine sufficiently to burn this moisture off completely, hence the `smokey exhaust`

Remedy ? Drive faster, further... more often.

No, really.

Mike.

What's that it says in your avatar?

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

member #1515
    How much mileage have you put on the car. Take it for a good trip maybe 1000 miles. What oil are you running? The rings may not yet have seated. White smoke is oil and most cars may give a puff on startup.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Drive it like you stole it Ghost Chaser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    What's that it says in your avatar?

Regards
    Mike
    ok, rub it in. the other night i beat that car like it owed me money. but sadly i don't have the chance to do that as often as i'd like. here in switzerland they have cracked down on us with radars everywhere, and my lifestyle as a daddy with three little ones means more sprints to the store and aikido classes than to the Ring or Dijon.

it's been a few thousand kilometers since the rebuild. but again, at pathetically low RPMS. what's the best oil to be running it on? i've been using extra virgin olive oil. is that wrong?

several trips out yesterday, most start ups no smoke, one or two smoke. could pumping before start up cause more smoke? just curious.
    Rich

Early S Registry Member #1394.

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

White smoke on start up- and that's my car, not me personally.

How high is the oil when fully hot, checked at the dipstick?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    White smoke is oil. Here in Texas I run Mobil 1 15-50 but with your temps , maybe 10-40? The pumping would be black smoke.
    I really wouldn't worry about a puff on startup I've also gotten it on occasion. When I don't use my car for a few weeks I get more than a puff, I think the synthetic oil runs into the pistons and pools a bit.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Noo we are in a debate

White smoke water vapour
    Blue smoke oil
    Black smoke trouble

That's what I've always kent

Regards
    Mike
    Edit: 'kent' for those of a non-Scottish persuasion means 'understood to be true'
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Blown head gasket and anti-freeze is leaking into the cylinder...

On a more serious note, while I agree with the color choices on the smoke/steam, I highly doubt enough moisture would get into the cylinders to show any sign of burnoff. Oil? Yes, and quite common with these cars. The nature of the horizontal cylinders makes it so.

I'm guessing the rings haven't been fully seated and those white puffs are actually bluish in color when you get right down to it... they probably smell a tad funny as well.

My $0.04 (adjusted for inflation and devalued for net worth).
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook