Hi Guys.

I had my 2.2 T motor rebuilt and it was done to a very high standard. I do have one problem though and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on what might be going on: The car blows out white smoke on start up, but not all the time. It happens when the motor is cold and also when it's warm; it happens after driving it gently, and happens (perhaps somewhat less) after running it hard, on the rare occasion I can do that.

Though I've been paying close attention to it, I cannot find a pattern. Sometimes, smoke, and lots of it, or sometimes nothing at all. It blows it out and then it's over, meaning it doesn't keep smoking.

It doesn't smoke on throttle lift off, or on hard acceleration (or at least I've haven't noticed it). The smoke is always white. I could post a video if that would help, but I just figured I'd try the experts with text only first.

My mechanic thinks the motor needs to be broken in, and I must admit my driving consists mainly in short runs around town at very low speeds and low RPMs... mostly just driving the kids around, a mile here, five miles there. So it's true the motor never got broken in at high RPMs over any long period.

I will add, and I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but a full tank gets me 270 kilometers around town, and more than double that on the highway.

Thanks,
Rich