Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 911R Oil Tank

911R Oil Tank

Gauging interest in 911R oil tanks… I am making a tank for myself and have enough parts (fittings/caps/filler necks) to make 5 tanks. I have done quite a bit of research to capture the little details of the original 911R oil tank design. Listed below are some details I am using on the 911R tank build:

- Genuine 80mm Blau filler neck riveted to aluminum tank neck same as original design
    - Aluminum German DIN 7633 metric cone oil fillings - M26 for the return lines and M30 for the Oil
    Suction line to the engine. [I can also do a custom setup with M30 fittings all around if
    you are using the large mouth coolers or doing an ST build (22mm tube)].
    - Aluminum internal oil baffle for oil cooler/thermostat return oil
    - M26 oil drain plug w/magnet
    - Metric aluminum tubing used for all vent lines and internal oil cooler return tube
    - Genuine Blau all aluminum knurled oil cap with 911R two hole fin
    - Tank retaining strap, painted black, with end fittings secured by four rivets. Design used same
    as original.
    - Installation template for filler neck hole in fender

$2700 for the kit listed above (Tank / Blau Cap / Mounting Strap)
    $2500 for tank only
    $250 for Blau cap only
    $175 for strap only

Here are pictures of the tank in progress. I expect to have a completed tank in 2 weeks.

Best regards,

Brad
    949 266 4205
    Last edited by Brad Davis; 01-28-2011 at 11:38 AM.
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

very very nice. this is a stainless one that came out of a german 72 , manufacture unknown.
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

Thanks John! I am excited to get the first tank finished and installed.

I looked at your tank a number of times while researching. It sure does have a factory racing look to it.

Best regards,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Photos seem to have vanished or do I need to change settings for this new site?

Hi Chris,

Here are the pictures.... I did not see an option to edit my original post and add the photos there.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Brad,

It looks really good and I am interested - I do have a few questions.

Have you estimated the total volume of the tank? and how much air gap will there be above the oil level when the engine is running?

Does the filler cap have a vent or will it totally seal?

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks Chris.

I am working on oil volume calculations this weekend. I will have the total tank volume by Monday. I am also looking to specify total oil system volume. On my project I am going with two Behr 69-71 front oil coolers so my calculations will include oil volume with all of the lines plus total volume of the two coolers and tank. Once I have all of these specification nailed down I will have a better idea of the operating tank volume.

The tank will be vented with two vent pipes just like the original. One vent pipe is located off of the filler neck and the second off the stern end of the tank. The vent from the filler neck routes to the plastic oil catch tank in the engine compartment and the vent from the rear of the tank routes to the breather. The remaining hole in the plastic oil catch tank then vents outside the engine compartment to the street. The cap for the filler neck is a non-vented Blau cap.

I have attached a few more pictures. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Modded 993 tank works well.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Hi Guys,

I hoped to get more updated before now, but had to do some double checking on the tank capacity. The tank volume and only measured to 9 liters at the base of the filler neck. Then 911R manual states that the tank should hold 10 Liters and that the oil level is to be filled to the base of the filler neck. This oil level seems high, but the manual states pretty clearly that the oil should be filled to that point. Does anyone know for sure how high the oil should be filled on the 911R oil tank? Confirmation would be great.

I have also double checked my calculations on the tank dimentions and discovered that my current prototype is a little small. This explains the missing liter. The original 911R tanks were a bit larger at the base and the width along the vertical of the tank. I am working on a new prototype adding to these areas which should meet the 10 Liter specification.

Thanks,

Brad
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

do you want me to check the capacity of mine and some dimensions
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com