Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smuggler lid paint pics

Smuggler lid paint pics

Hey guys, I have two 72S's that were original paint both silver and the smuggler box lids are painted black even though the rest of the trunk is body color. Even the latch that holds it closed is painted half black where it meets the lid. Do any of you also have this lid black and not body color??
    72S, 72T now ST

Hi,

I had a quick look through my files of pics and no 72 or 73 cars had black smugglers lids on the top side, this is both RHD and LHD. I have seem many with black undersides as they were painted with the lid fitted and closed I presume.

HTH

Alan

my 72 lid top is body color.
    it was black in the small area under the latch.
    the underside is black.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Thanks for checking guys. That's interesting and I wonder why mine are black. My car was built in 7/71 and is a very early 72S but I guess I'll paint the top since that seems to be the norm. It would look better as well.
    72S, 72T now ST

Does the car show any signs of air con? The only thing I can think is the option was changed and thus a unpainted lid fitted? Just an idea, but it is possible.

I will find some pics for you

Alan

I've done some more searching on this site and have seen a few black lids in painted trunks so I think they did it both ways. I have two lids so I'm going to paint one silver and leave the other one black that way I have one of each. Problem solved.
    72S, 72T now ST

My smugglers box lid is painted, but not quite body color. This car is a January 1972 S with AC. The cars is metallic gold (140 9-3). The exterior was repainted in about 1976 to a similar gold otherwise the car is original.
    Bill Cilker, Jr.
    Gold 72 911S
    31 Ford Model A
    PCA, Early S Registry (#98) & RGruppe (#272)
    Rotarian

Bill, is the under side of your lid black? Is the inside of your smuggler box area body color?
    72S, 72T now ST

Here you go
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

My mid/yr 72 911 T is silver, with the smuggler`s box in sliver on top and black underneath & a grey seal.Also has A/C....Cliff