Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tires for 68 on 7x15 R Fuchs

Tires for 68 on 7x15 R Fuchs

I have been running 205/55 R 15 Bridgestone S03 Pole Position for the last 6 years with great results, but it is time for new tires. I like the size a lot, but the S03 is unfortunately no longer available.

From the ones tire Rack lists, I like either the Yokohama S Drive, the Bridgestone RE92 or the Pirelli P6. The Yokohama is the best rated and is half the price of the other 2.

Use is mostly street with some track and rally.

Comments anyone?

Thanks
    Last edited by hdavis; 10-30-2010 at 03:48 PM.
    Henry

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Aw, shucks, I guess I’m behind the times.

My 7x15R on my ’68 coupe still have 1970’s vintage Michelin 185/70VR15 XWX in place.

Do you think they are now out of date?

After 25 years I must put on NEW tires?
    Yikes!

Best,
    Grady

I've been using the Bridgestone Potenza RE 92 since the car came to life. V rated and easily accesible for such an awkward size rim like the FUCH. It comes in a 195/70/15.
    I've kind of become a dedicated Bridgestone Potenza fan since 2004. My 335xi comes with Potenza RFTs, the Subaru WRX had Potenza Fuzions on it, and my old 3000GT had a set of Potenza's put on it after replacing some Yokohamas. With proper rotations you should get 20K to 25K out of a set. They really grip well on all surfaces.

I'd love to find those old Michelin's but they are hard to find. Last time I looked you had to order them out of the UK and there was a 3 week waiting period. I heard they are spendy as well.

I agree, the Michelin XWX are incredible. . . and priced accordingly!

How about Vredestein Sprint Classics as a compromise? "Period" tread pattern, modern compound. The 185/70 R15 would be a good choice, even for a 7R. They make them in a 205 if you wish although that is a 26.30" diameter.

Grady, what was the original diameter of the 165 and 185 that came on these cars new? I can't find it anywhere?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I've recently tried a set of Goodyear Eagle GT's on my 72, 195 X 65 on 7" rears and 6" fronts. They are V rated and I recently did a 3,000 mile round trip up to RITV with them, they performed great, quiet cruising and good stick on the twisties.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ive never understood why someone would spend big $$$ on 7R's and then put 185 tires on them, when the same tire would fit on a 6" Fuch.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    Ive never understood why someone would spend big $$$ on 7R's and then put 185 tires on them, when the same tire would fit on a 6" Fuch.
    Agreed, lots of choices in 205/55 and 205/60-15 out there. Check out Tire Rack. Some have pretty vintage looking tread patterns.

Dunlop Direzza DZ101 and Bridgestone Potenza RE92 would be my choice in 205/55-15.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Maybe a Long hood racer can chime on on the benefits and drawbacks? raj
    Much more benefit from a wider tire than a wider rim. That's why Goodyear and Hoosier still offer cantilever slicks - to meet the grip level needs of those limited by wheel size in class racing.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Well, how about just the simple idea of having something on their car related to the best that Porsche had to offer a la 911r.

raj
    Ahh, but Dr. Raj, surely you would agree that the tire that Porsche shipped the R's with were not the same tires that they expected to be used after delivery.

Kidding aside, in today's setting, I just don't see a practical reason to spend $3,000+ on a cool set of wheels and then negate their benefits by installing a small tire on them. That would be like twin plugging your engine, yet leaving the compression at 8.5:1.

With that said, I still do a lot of things that others think are silly! =)
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439