Thread: SWB - Rear window defroster

SWB - Rear window defroster

Dear All, I know that all models for the 911 and 912 up to 1968 had two little pipes to heat the rear window in the winter to defrost it. I own a Porsche from 1968 and I have the two bended pipes for the window but I am looking for a diagram or a picture to show how it should be mounted thru the engine bay. I dont have more parts and I can not find it in my books or even the spare parts book.

Can any of you help with this and send me official parts pictures and or pics how its mounted in your car?

Many thanks in advance!

With regards,
    Govert

I don't have a picture at hand but you need to source:

- 2x rubber grommet (hold the pipes in the tray)
    - 2x foam hoses (NLA)
    - 4x white tie rips

Richard

This is an easy one

The rubber grommets go on the gray heater tubes
    These are inserted at the corners of the rear window through the parcel shelf
    Once they are through, the orange foam tubes go between the tubes and the tube in the longitudinal as shown
    Once all that is done, white zip-ties go on the ends of the tubes.

The hard part here is finding the tubes, they tend to turn into dust in your hands when you touch them and are long, long NLA.

There are some great photos of the gray tubes on Darryl Deppe's web site chronicling his immaculate 912 restoration. Scroll about half way down.

http://www.darrylsgarage.com/912/912int.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 304065; 10-31-2010 at 03:47 AM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Guys, wow! Many thanks for the great feedback! I have the two tubes but not the foam ones but at least now I know how it should be connected!!! Many thanks for the quick reply of both and the great answer as well!

Govert