Thread: Cibie - fuse slot

Cibie - fuse slot

I have two sets of Cibie hood lights that I am currently wiring. As I look at my larger of the two fuse boxes in the trunk, I notice that fuse 3 and 4 are not currently being used, although there are two fuses in them. There are no wires coming in on either side of them. Does this mean they are not being used, or are they somehow being bridged internally? I was hoping to use both slots as fuses for the lights.

What size fuses do you recommend using? I tried a 16amp fuse on the wire between the power (battery) and the relay, and it immediately blew out.

One last thing, there are two lights on the hood and two lights on the fender. The lights on the hood I was thinking of using one of the three bolts that attaches the lights to the hood as a ground. Do you guys think this is an appropriate ground, or will I need to feed the ground wire to the body?

Thanks.
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Here is a photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Max, how many watts are the bulbs and what is the approximate length of wiring? What is the wire gauge?
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

The lights are each 55watts
    Using 14 gauge wires, using two swtiches, two relays, wire is about six feet from lights to fuse box and power and about 4 feet from switch to fuse box and power. I am using the round relays that fit nicely in the relay panel next to the fuse box.
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Bought some 30amp fuses, and they also quickly burned out. Any suggestions?

Here is an image I found that best outlines in a schematic how I have wired the lights. I am using two fuses, one between the relay and the power source (battery) and the other between the switch and the power source (battery).

Before clean up and tidy the wires, I have the power directly tied to the battery and the ground from relay directly tied to the battery ground. The fuse between the relay and the battery keeps burning out. The battery is currently not in the car but sitting on the floor. Could it bet that the battery is not grounded to the car causing the fuse to burn out?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

I grounded the car battery to the car, and tried connecting the power and yet again a 30 amp fuse completely burned through. I will try to get a larger amp to test this out.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC