Thread: Winter storage

Question Winter storage

I need some input on winter storage in va.tire pressure? Or should i put on jack stands?change the oil now or in spring? Fill gas tank with a "stabilizer"?change brake fluid now or in spring? Change diff. Fluid now over to swepco? Any thoughts or other items to consider would be appreciated.i will drive the car until the roads get to sloppy.

Thanks david

Here's a link to a thread on Pelican on this subject. Grady Clay replied at the bottom of the first page (post#20). I've had this link saved for a long time, and I think Grady's post is one of the best on the subject.

regards,
    Eric

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...checklist.html

member #1515
    I'd add blue stabil into the last fill and run the car until it is in the lines. Put the car on jackstands. Instead of pouring the oil into the intake which would make me nervous, I'd pull the plugs and squirt in some marvel mystery oil and crank the car without plugs to make sure its on the cylinder walls. + all of the above. I'd also remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger. Leave your windows open a crack and spray lexol on any leather.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

A basic boat winterizing step is to spray fogging oil in the intake at a fast idle. Car application? Consideration should be given to mice/rodent protection. People say certain dryer sheets work. Plug up tailpipe and intake? I live in Ct. and you get the occasional warm day. In anticipation of these days, I don't really put the car to bed for long term storage. On a warmer day, I start the car and run it until warm, back it out of the garage and go back and forth in the driveway (DOT doesn't salt it) to get the juices in circulation. You have to run the car for a while to burn off moisture in the exhaust, etc. Be careful on warmer days not to fling the garage door open as the garage and anything metal might still be cool from the night before and you will quickly get a film of H2O on your car anywhere there is air, you can't chamois inside the rockers. No more of worthless thoughts except this: people who get to use their cars year round, we hate you .

the dryer sheets don't work, in fact many have reported they get used to build the nests....

for exhaust and intake, I've had great success findings rubber caps in the big hardware stores used to caps on PVC pipes, the caps come in a variety of sizes, and come with a worm-drive hose clamp, easy on, easy off....

I typically don't go overboard, as I do the shuffle every couple of weeks, as the cars get switched into being in the prime position in the workshop...

this winter the sonett gets rebuilt brakes, the 'S' gets gauge upgrades, passenger side window repair and some seat improvements, the hotrod gets some lightweight carpet, electrical fixes, dash facing upgrades, and some brake work.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

I just bought a dustop cover and a carbag. The cover goes on, the carbag zips up with a couple pounds of dessicant inside. It keeps the rodents out.

When I laid up the race car for long-term storage I ran MMO through the MFI pump and injectors, drained the fuel system and ran MMO in the fuel tank, pickled the engine with five gallons of oil poured down the breather. I read about a '47 Bonanza that had been stored for decades and the mechanics had put triple the required quantity of oil in the engine, effectively pickling it for the duration.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

My formula: Keep it in a heated, dry garage. Drive it once in a while, when the roads are dry and not salty. Change the oil in the spring. Inflate the tires to recommended pressure, or a few psi over. Don't stress out too much about it.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

member #1515
    What is MMO?
    David

Marvel Mystery Oil, a great product with 1,001 uses. Warning: not for internal consumption.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

member #1515
    Uh, OK I've always used MMO, great stuff, just never heard the abbreviated version before.
    David