Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to me 'Early' Turbo Carrera

New to me 'Early' Turbo Carrera

With some encouragement to post from Curt E. here is '76 Turbo Carrera #00061. I bought this car nearly a year ago as is. The previous owner cosmetically restored to original specs using NOS parts or good condition originals found, (no reproductions). Grand Prix white exterior and completely redone interior: seats, dash, carpet, steering wheel, etc. Engine, brakes, suspension, etc. completely rebuilt by TLG.

Spent entire life in California. Per Certificate, matching motor and trans. Options included California Equipment, Sports Seats L/R, Dunlop Tires. Rare sunroof delete. I understand the non sunroof Turbo productions cars used 934 prepared bodies. These bodies incorporated a battery shut off in the front trunk. Also features rear pop-out windows only found on the early cars.

Early Turbos are interesting because of their lighter weight, aluminum case, and engine position (i think 40mm forward compared to later Turbos). Marco claims they spool up faster as well .... because of the short stoke higher revving 3.0L? These started an industry-wide turbo revolution and became an automotive icon due to the infamous 'whale tail'. (Still feel a bit lonely sometimes as she is not an early 911 nor an RGruppe car)

Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

A few more...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

That is a keeper Tom! These cars are under-valued and under-appreciated, IMO. So you're saying the car has a factory battery cut-off?

Beautiful car John. I saw an early turbo at RITV2, when John Ashford drove one, that was kindly lent to him, by the owner, Chuck (Baron). Tartan seats. It was a beaut. It would be nice to see some video of it in action. I'm sure Herr Dockter Egerer h. ING, could manage a vid, or 2 ;-)
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Early turbos

I agree that these cars are under-valued and under-appreciated, you americans should start to buy all the good ones, as i see that prices over here in Europe are much higher than in the US, they are starting to be quite sought after.
    I love driving mine, it combines the "lightweight" driving of the longhood 911 with a fantastic surge of power, and I've been told that the driving experience of the US-turbo carrera is not much different from the ROW ones, which have 15hp more due to lack of emission control equipment.
    When the turbo was indrocuced in late 1974, the press pack showed the difference between the MFI engined 2.7 carrera and the new turbo:

508302.jpg

My car is an early My75 car (row only), lighter than 76 and 77 cars (120lbs) because it was built on the basis of the 2.7 carrera :

IMG_7999.jpg
    IMG_7860.jpg
    IMG_7901.jpg

Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

awesome car! i've only driven a 964 3.6 Turbo, a rare one year only beast 1994. it was the last of the single turbine, lag engines. AFTERBURNERS ! the community will wake up to the turbo cars soon enough. They certainly are 1) iconic and 2) faaaaaaassssttt. enjoy yours and kudos to Curt for encouraging you to post !

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

The collecting of early turbos started three years ago. This is not to say there are not values out there. I would venture the majority of unmodified cars are already gobbled up or still in the hands of the original owners.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Now I remember why this is one of my alltime favorites ! Very cool cars.

Curt - Yes it has the factory battery cut-off.

Beautiful car Andrea! Love the period color, stripe, and tartan seats, really cool. I am pretty darn certain there are other lurkers on this board who also have a (or more) really really nice original Turbo's ... post'em if you got'em.
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

Beautiful Car, I started shopping for an early turbo a couple years ago. Little too late to the party, Baron had already bought most of the nice ones. These are very cheap when you consider how few were built and what they represent. Many were wrecked or moded beyond recognition, remember the slope nose craze of the 80's.
    Enjoy!
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658