Thread: Wiring stock fuel gauge to fuel cell; need wisdom.

Wiring stock fuel gauge to fuel cell; need wisdom.

I'm installing a Fuel Safe cell in my 74 and trying to connect it to the stock VDO fuel gauge. Fuel Safe says its sender is compatible with my gauge.
    My stock sender has three wires: a ground, a black wire that goes to the low fuel light and on to ground, and a green (sender) wire that goes to the gauge then on circuitously to a switched power source. So the sender seems to get whatever power it needs from the gauge, if it needs any.
    The Fuel Safe sender gets a signal from the green wire; the sender must also be grounded. No problem to here. But Fuel Safe tells me their sender must receive its own switched 12 volt current from the fuse panel, unlike the stock sender.
    Anybody know if this is going to work ok?
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Well, I'll answer my own thread.
    Yes, seems to work fine. Connect the stock green signal yield to the sender terminal on the new fuel sender. Connect the brown ground wire from the gauge to the ground on the new fuel sender. Run a line from the new sender + terminal to a source of switched power in the fusebox. If the stock line from your vdo gauge has a black wire for a "low tank" indicator light, just tie it off (unless your sender has provision for it.) BTW, Joel at Centroid, the people who make the fuel tank senders, is unbelievably helpful. When I first turned my setup on, the needle went instantly to 7/8 full and stayed there, with no gas in the tank. He took me thru several steps to determine what the problem was. In the end, we found that the gauge is sticky. Give the gauge a sharp rap and the needle goes where it is supposed to. So it is going off to North Hollywood for a little r and r. But he couldn't have been more helpful.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)