Thread: Help Plating Colors: Wanted Period Color Engine Photos circa 1965

Help Plating Colors: Wanted Period Color Engine Photos circa 1965

Oldtimers ,,

If you have good period color photos the the 911 engine from the factory or wherever around 1965, could you post a few of them, with detail. If you don't have a scanner, you can take digitial photos (usually with no flash and well-lighted room) and get some good results. I'm continuing to investigate authentic early engines. See this thread, thanks!

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ice-66-at-EASY

-Allen-

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    This is the only one I've ever seen. It's from a faily common tri-lingual folded brochure printed in Germany in March 1965. It's often called the "Red 911" brochure. The engine picture is small.

My recollection is that when I got my car, the special bolts that held the float bowls were yellow cadmium plated as were some of the carburetor levers but all of the Pursche parts of the linkage were silver.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    This is the only one I've ever seen. It's from a faily common tri-lingual folded brochure printed in Germany in March 1965. It's often called the "Red 911" brochure. The engine picture is small.

My recollection is that when I got my car, the special bolts that held the float bowls were yellow cadmium plated as were some of the carburetor levers but all of the Pursche parts of the linkage were silver.
    Jim, Thanks for the brochure scan. Would be wonderful if someone came up with factory visit color photos. Certainly looks like mostly silver; the fan pulley piece appears to gold/yellow. Regarding the Solex, yesterday my Friend Richard very carefully cleaned an original Solex he has, you can see the cleaned area, although I must say on my computer screen it does not look yellow, Richard says in person it definitely is yellow. The other picture of Solex is from one of the 1964 Production cars, very original car. It does not appear to have any yellow. However (again), the yellow plating was very thin and goes away after years. No doubt of this, based on my '67. In any case, I certainly see mostly silver from this old brochure piece.

Just observing: the alternator strap is black. I've no quesiton on this in my mind but I've seen many resorations with clear ((one reason for this I've seen is the black paint comes off easily (like plating? leading restorers to think it is clear)) Also, note the decal placement on the air clear snout and the yellow oval voltage tag on the coil which was later changed to rectangular green sticker. There is no decal on the black strap: such a decal came MUCH later, '68 I think. Thanks again!

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 11-14-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr 911E View Post
    ...the fan pulley piece appears to gold/yellow...

...Just observing: the alternator strap is black. I've no quesiton on this in my mind but I've seen many resorations with clear ((one reason for this I've seen is the black paint comes off easily (like plating? leading restorers to think it is clear)) Also, note the decal placement on the air clear snout and the yellow oval voltage tag on the coil which was later changed to rectangular green sticker. There is no decal on the black strap: such a decal came MUCH later, '68 I think. Thanks again!

-Allen-
    Of course that gold color on the fan hub is on the [magnesium?] casting part--not on the rivited in steel inner pully half.

I'm pretty confident of the black alternator strap. With the fuel lines for the Solex carbs arcing across the fan it would have been hard to put the decal there. I've always assumed the decal moved with the switch to Webers.

One of the tragedies of restoring my car was that because there were catalog listings for the decal I didn't think I needed to save the old one. The available timing decals may very well have the same timing angle but they say "911T."

I was able to get a cell phone photo of an original early-'65 snorkel decal. I've PhotoShopped it a bit to try to make it legible.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 11-14-2010 at 01:33 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

The fan housing strap is not black, it is a gray phosphate finish, what we in the USA would call "parkerized." I can post some photos of an original but there are many good ones out there.

Of course this was changed to black paint in the later cars around '68 and the gold foil sticker on the strap was added.

This was due to the fact that on the 911 lid there is no drip tray as on the 912. As a result, water dripped through the lid and landed right on the parkerized strap, rusting it. Hence the paint and the sticker to try and avert this.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

John is right on when it comes to the fan housing strap.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Quote Originally Posted by John Straub View Post
    John is right on when it comes to the fan housing strap.

John
    Well, that's interesting and informative. Actually, I wondered where ALL the black paint went on my '67. On the other other hand, some older straps were checked and they had paint on them. Anyway, looking at the poor brochure photo, "parkerized" (like "blueing" on a gun, or similar I sounds right. I checked the term on this board and see, I think John 304065 commented on it in prior post(s). Thanks.

-Allen-

Solex Air Cleaner snout decal 1964-65

Firing order and valve clearance decal, contact Jerry (typ901) he had some new old stock in 2007.

Here is the amount they have faded in 40+ years.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370