Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MFI Guru in Northeast

MFI Guru in Northeast

Anybody know a shop that specializes in setting up MFI here in the North east?

I have this crazy notion of adding mechanical injection to my 3 liter. Am i crazy?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Joe, a guy on Pelican did this, and reported good results. Personally, I like MFI, but I feel that it's a lot of time and money for a miniscule, or nil, improvement over your carbs. You could ask Matt Blast at Eurometrix whether he knows the recipe to adapt the system to the 3.0 liter. He's local, too.

Let me know if you're selling your carbs. Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

If you can get your car to DC. We have a great guy. trained at the factory in MFI and still has all of the tools they gave him at the training class, been tuning and building MFI for 30 + yrs. Tom, I hate to disagree with you, if you think MFI has a miniscule improvement over carbs. An old friend of mine who has been collecting very exotic P-Cars for 40+ years once told told me MFI should give you 10 - 15 hp difference over carbs...Plus the sound is awesome!

The problem has always been the mechanics did not want to take the time to tune an MFI system correctly (My guy has spent upwards of 6 hours getting an MFI tuned properly) and for an MFI system to work correctly, ALL of the other engine components need to be in spec.

MFI as a daily driver fuel delivery system probably wasn't the best idea as the cars fell out of tune between tune ups and required a high degree of competence and patience in the shop(those guys got paid by the job back then just like they do today). However, as a fuel delivery system for cars not driven on a daily basis (ie almost all of our older cars today) and on race cars, it's great.

The factory used MFI on it's racing cars well after electronic fuel delivery systems had been develeped for street cars. I'm sure someone on this board knows the last race car to use MFI, but I believe it was well into the mid to late 70's.

Do your research (that's the most fun anyway) and talk to a bunch of folks (once again a lot of fun) and then make the call. I would suggest you give Ed Mayo a call. I'm sure he has put MFI on just about every sort of flat six there is....btw, one of his personal cars has MFI.

Good Luck and enjoy the journey

Tom,

IIRC, Eurometrix is somewhere here in the northeast no?

If so, they oughtta know who I can go to locally.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Joe,

Our good old geriatric MFI requires an intimate relationship with the owner/driver.
    You need to be your own best expert at understanding and diagnosing the system.
    The reason is few techs can spend the time necessary and (usually) the owner is unwilling to pay a normal rate for such extended work.
    Yes, an experienced tech can more quickly get a ‘lost’ system back into the realm of running properly.
    Yes, the experienced owner can best diagnose the subtle running issues.
    It is a cooperative process.

Before you light into a MFI 3.x, I recommend you buy a 2.4T (car or engine) and live with it for a while, getting everything running correctly.

There is a lot posted on Pelican.
    As a good first step, I recommend you make your own CMA manual.
    You will learn the system in the process and it is a necessary tool for owning an MFI 911.

Best,
    Grady

Quote Originally Posted by Grady Clay View Post
    Joe,

There is a lot posted on Pelican.
    As a good first step, I recommend you make your own CMA manual.
    You will learn the system in the process and it is a necessary tool for owning an MFI 911.

Best,
    Grady
    Ummm what's a CMA manual

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Joe,

CMA = Check, Measure, Adjust Porsche booklet describing the MFI troubleshooting process.

Look here and then follow the links for more info and a copy of CMA.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...als-there.html

Search Pelican for CMA2.
    I and others added lots of information not covered in Porsche’s original CMA booklet.
    The CMA assumes all new parts.
    Our geriatric MFI needs to work with some 40-year old parts.

Best,
    Grady

G,

Found it thanx... I guess I got some reading to do. Great references over at pelican.

Joe,

In the old days there was only CMA, and primitive exhaust gas analyzers like the Gunson Gastester. What little information was printed in the ESSES and the scratchy Bosch manuals.

Over the last five years ago there has been a perfect storm of three things:

1) Massive proliferation of MFI related information using the Internet;
    2) Advent of Wideband 02 sensors with RPM logging, making it possible to fine-tune the mixture without guesswork; and
    3) A huge number of guys who are willing to tackle MFI projects and share the results.

As a result, the MFI community now has what it never had: the ability to really understand how these things work and most imporantly, tune the fuel curves to suit any engine. Gone are the days when you needed a custom space cam: Jeff's thread shows that you can make a lowly 2,4T pump work with a hot 3,0 liter motor. Of course he did blow a piston while climbing the learning curve but it was a small sacrifice for progress!

I would say that thread is about the most important one EVER for the MFI community.

Anyway, long-winded way of backing up Grady's thought: try it and see and help is as close as the keyboard.

And remember: Any Competent Porsche Driver Tracks Faster If Brakes Come Quickly

Air filter, compression loss, plugs, dwell, timing, fuel pressure, injectors, belt, correlation, smog! That is the easy way to remember all the steps of CHECK MEASURE ADJUST without having to get your paper copy dirty.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

old softie67S
    3.0? I would have thought it would be a 3.2SS!!!
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)