Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of 1965-1968 Window Frames

Pictures of 1965-1968 Window Frames

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has pics of 1965-68 windows frames, specifically of the front 1/4 windows that pivot. I am trying to find out if the chrome 356 window pivot locks would work.

I have some (what I believe to be ) 1968 window frames and they have a rubberized latch on the interior side. Would like to change it to all chrome. Trying to figure out if 1965-67 911s also had rubber or chrome, or if i should try to adapt 356 parts to get all chrome Thank you for any pics or insight ! Scott
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Hi Scott, the easier option is just remove the rubber section and re-chrome. We have restored/re-chromed lots of pre 68 window trim so if it helps I can send pics. For now here are some from a US 68 car. These were stripped and re-chromed last week.

HTH

Alan

Scott - 1968 Coupe door window frames were a one-year only version - anodised aluminium but with an opening chrome quarterlight.

The locking 'handle' & pivot were chrome - here are a couple of pictures:

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Andy, here in the USA we had a rubber-covered quarterlight handle for 1968 ONLY. This was at the request of our benevolent government who were rightfully concerned that we would impale ourselves on the handle in a crash. Sort of like Phineas Gage.

Here is a not so great photo of a current 68 912 advertised for sale, you can see the black rubber piece.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 304065; 11-24-2010 at 01:57 PM.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

This place rocks my socks. Thanks for the pics and info!!

Andy, yep, I do indeed have the 1968 Anodized door window frames with the brass chrome quarterlights. And these are apparently USA because they have a rubber handle.

I want the chrome handle so , Alan, you're pretty sure I can just take off the rubber bit and send off the quarterlight pieces to be chromed ? And of course the anodized frames to be re-anodized..

This is great. Now off to take apart my window frames.

Happy Thanksgiving.

-Scott
    Last edited by YTNUKLR; 11-24-2010 at 02:51 PM.
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

“If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Can anyone make any recommendations for Platers here in the US? East coast preferably. Looks great Alan.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Here's what my '68 frames looked like when I got them back from King of Trim in N. Hollywood.

I put the glass in the vent window and assembled the latch and installed the rubber. Marcos and his crew handled the stripping, polishing and re-plating in all the appropriate finishes. Most importantly, they handled all the riveting and did a very nice job of it. I have used them repeatedly for all my brightwork and have always been very happy with the results.

Not cheap, but I think their work speaks for itself.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

I have had Super Fine Shine in Ohio do some chrome for me, Philip Velez, he is great

http://www.superfineshine.com/

John, what is "not cheap"? Please send me an email with the cost. kindersport@gmail.com

Thanks!
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    Can anyone make any recommendations for Platers here in the US? East coast preferably. Looks great Alan.
    Hi Mark,

I'm not sure where your located but you can try Nu-Chrome located in Fall River MA;

http://nu-chrome.com/
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Quote Originally Posted by merbesfield View Post
    Chrome Masters in Nashville, http://www.chromemasters.com/

Search here under my username for examples of their work

Lisa and Darryl great to deal with, nice people, great work.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen