Thread: 1,000 dollars worth of fun?

1,000 dollars worth of fun?

Hello group, I have been here a few times after getting my 69T last year. I have since moved from Tire Town, (Akron of course) to sort of a long way from home, Bolivar, Ohio. I got a bigger garage! Also, the girlfriend was part of the deal as well.

I hope to participate here, although starting this car game sorta late and being a real hack, I can only try and soak up some of the talent I see here. With the move and the other vehicles sitting around here, my T has still not had many miles put on it. I did rebuild the tensioners and felt better about putting my foot in it.

Ok, this is about a car that I had tried to buy maybe Ten years ago. It appeared very close to where I used to live and I made a couple half hearted offers on it. Now, many years later, I make a wrong turn and there it is again, son of a .... Still sitting outside and rusting away. This guy said he got it to put the engine in his rail buggy, anyhow he wanted it gone. I had it for $700, but his wife, (I really had to laugh) spoiled the deal. SHE thought they should restore it. A couple months later I got to drag it home!

It's a 69E, also a Sportomatic. So now I have two 69 sportomatics. Too bad someone screwed some kind of alarm system to the tank, among other thoughtless things. OK, this is pretty rough, but I am having my fun. The thing is, now I really don't know what I should do with it. My T needs plenty of attention. What can I do with this E? I don't have a welder, I really wonder if the engine is worth my attention. And if I could get the engine running, what would I put it in?

Here is a teaser pic and maybe the picassa link will work. Any comments or advice would be welcome. If anyone has any interest in it, let me know. It's now in the barn where it should have been the last 20 or 30 years.

I will add to this, engine and vin # soon. I am sure you guys have seen this Kind of carnage many times.

Thanks,
    Dan

http://picasaweb.google.com/dant58/6...eat=directlink
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    69 911 T #100176 Sportomatic
    Vanagons, 97 Jetta VR6, Misc junk...

I am definitely interested. I am finishing up on my 912 resto rusto project and this could be a good start for me. Please let me know and put me on the list. Thanks. Will PM as well.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

This 69 E Sportomatic seems to be all there, except what has turned to dust that is.

Chassis # 119220749
    Engine # 6298445 901/11 (sportomatic according to the Red Book)

I have been putting the parts away for now and will wait for spring to determine it's fate.

The corroded magnesium is one concern I have. Plenty in the intakes and some on the opening around the oil sump. Will there be more inside the case?
    There are parts I could use for my T, I suppose I will add all this stuff to my "collection".

Anyone have any thoughts about splitting up the engine and chassis? Should I hang on to everything? Would it be possible to find a suitable chassis for the engine?

I like these stacks, two are only slightly crispy, the other four are very nice.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    69 911 T #100176 Sportomatic
    Vanagons, 97 Jetta VR6, Misc junk...