Thread: Ferrari Toast

Ferrari Toast

Ever wonder what a 200,000 Euro Ferrari looks like after the rear end has been barbecued? Well, you are in luck. I was in the midst of restoring my 71T yesterday morning and this rolled up at the shop that is letting me use their shop to work on my car. I was told that the car cost 425000 EUROS new. The front of the car, interior and left hand side of the car were virtually untouched. I am sure that the owner is having a bad day as well as his insurance company, both of whom are no doubt trying to figure out what to do with 2/3's of Ferrari....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gruen911; 11-29-2010 at 06:52 AM.

I guess that he didn't get the recall notice. At least that's what he's telling the insurance company...

"Italian sports car maker Ferrari is recalling the 2010 458 Italia because of problems with engine heat shields that could result in fires. Several owners of the new sports car, which costs about $230,000, have reported the cars catching fire in recent months and many who follow the industry had anticipated a recall. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says heat from the engine can cause the rear wheel housings and heat-shield assemblies to deform and allow the shields to get too close to the exhaust system. Heat from the exhaust, the agency says, can cause an adhesive that holds the shield assemblies together to overheat and emit smoke. When the car’s operating temperature is particularly high, the adhesive can catch fire. In some cases the fires have spread quickly and destroyed the cars. To fix the problem, dealers will replace the old heat shields with a new design that attaches with rivets instead of glue." WSJ

Have no fear; the owner will get a new one.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100909974
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

My neighbor just brought one of these home yesterday. He's a great guy I'm sure he's been told about this but I'll bring it up over a beer on the weekend
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

1971 911e
    1978 911sc Targa (Sold)
    1973 911 RSR (Clone)

Banned
    I agree. It's really a headache for both the owner and the insurance company. It's just too expensive. Hope they can come up with a good solution.

the price of the car is 200.000 euros....
    and the problem with fire inside 458's engine bay is well know here in Europe...
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE