Thread: Any interest in a 901,915, or 930 gearbox rebuild kit?

New owner, The Race Line

Any interest in a 901,915, or 930 gearbox rebuild kit?

Hey there everyone,

I realize that this might not be the perfect place to list this, but here it is...

I have recently put together kits for rebuilding the 901, 915 and will soon have a price on the 930 gearbox. I realize that there are quite a few DIY guy and gals out there that are perfectly suited to rebuilding these gearboxes in the winter months, and wanted to offer a complete kit for doing so.

I would certainly like to judge the interest level on this kit, as well as get any input into if there is anything that should be added or left out of it from everyone here.

What I tried to do was put together a kit that would include everything that COULD be needed, in a complete rebuild. I think I have a pretty good list here, but any input would be greatly appreciated as well. Here is what the 901 and 915 kits include, the 930 kit would be similar, but I have not completely worked up a price on that one as of yet.

901 gearbox rebuild kit:

5 x New Synchronizers
    1st/2nd operating sleeve
    3rd/4th operating sleeve
    main shaft nut
    second main shaft nut
    main shaft bearing
    main shaft 4 pt bearing
    pinion bearing
    pinion 4 pt bearing
    2 x differential bearings
    seal, gasket and HW (new nuts and washers) kit

Cost $2050.00 plus shipping

915 gearbox rebuild kit

1st - 5th synchronizers
    1st/2nd operating sleeve
    3rd/4th operating sleeve
    2 x shaft nuts
    main shaft bearing
    main shaft 4 pt bearing
    pinion bearing
    pinion 4 pt bearing
    case bearing
    case bearing
    seal, gasket, and hardware kit

$2500.00 plus shipping

Any and all suggestions or anyone with thoughts on this would be very well received, and please if you are looking for a kit to rebuild your gearbox, give me a call and I will be very happy to help you with this.

I can offer rebuilding services, new gearing, as well as several options for LSD's, and pretty much anything else you might need, as well so please do not hesitate to contact me.

Happy to help,

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (303) 895-4828

Erik-What special tools will the DIY-er need to take on this rebuild?
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

Erik,

Having just completed a DIY rebuild of a 911 (the 1970-71 version of the 901) gearbox, I have a few comments. First, that's a great price for such a comprehensive kit. But second, I'm not sure many DIYers would need or want to do such a comprehensive job. That's the 'royal treatment', whereas I think most DIYers would be looking to reuse more components where possible. A number of parts would be fine for reuse. The savings wouldn't be all that great, but probably enough to make people pick and choose what components they absolutely need, rather than go all out on a complete kit. Plus, replacing some of those bearings pushes the job to the very limits, possibly beyond, of a DIY. Nevertheless, if such a thing exists, you might get a few takers.

Given the differences between the early 901 and the '70-'71 type, you might also list a price for the later options, significantly different in the case of the 1st/Reverse slider.

Tod - My transmission rebuild thread on Pelican has a very comprehensive post by Grady Clay on page 1 detailing the tools needed for the earlier type. Peter Zimmerman's WIKI page covers a complete 915 rebuild, touching on the tools needed along the way. In general, it was not as daunting as it first appeared.

Mike
    --------------
    Mike Caterino
    1970 T targa
    Santa Barbara, CA
    restoration blog: mk911.blogspot.com

New owner, The Race Line
    Hey there Mike,

I would agree that there might be parts that might not be needed to rebuild a gearbox, but I wanted to address the needs of those who would like to do a complete rebuild. I think that the solution here would be to simply let everyone know that the pricing listed here would be the worst case scenario, and if anyone would like to purchase a smaller list of parts, then that would certainly be fine too.

I think that by sourcing these through a single source though offers a lot of time savings as well as a fair discount to the members here.

Thanks for the input and please, everyone, let me know if I can be of help to you.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (303) 895-4828 cell

Great thread Mike, thanks for sharing. I miss the 911 my car used to have!
    Todd
    '71T 3.2 Spec 911 #806
    '69 BMW E9 Coupe

New owner, The Race Line
    Do we have any interest in this kit, or an less comprehensive version of it?

Thanks for your input and let me know if I can help,

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (303)895-4828 cell