Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Webasto Gas Heater Thread (Photos, parts sources, trades)

The Ultimate Webasto Gas Heater Thread (Photos, parts sources, trades)

After spending a few hours searching through old posts, I thought I would start a thread that would be a comprehensive look at the Webasto gas heater.

I am working on accumulating parts for a heater unit that was given to me (thanks Kenik). On one of the other threads I found this photo of a NOS unit that illustrates what all is included.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

I am needing help understanding a couple areas on these units.
    1) How does the duct plate fit through the smugglers box bulkhead and into the interior
    2) once the hot air is piped through the bulkhead into the interior, how is it ducted into the ventilation system?
    3) How is the fuel tapped from the gas tank?

Any photos of these areas would be appreciated
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Duct plate mounts on the interior of the car, three 4-3 metric speed nuts cad plated, screws go from the smugglers box through the firewall into the speednuts. There is a large rubber gasket mounted on the inside between the plate and the firewall.

You can see how it is ducted.

Fuel tap is another 6mm strainer in the starboard-side hole in the tank. If you look at an SWB tank you see three holes- one for carbs one for fuel pump one drain. Cohline braided hose runs through angled holes in the apron above the fuel tank to the fuel pump.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Some component photos

More components and schematics

On the thermostat you can see how Damon modifies them so they actually work

great input- thanks! Looks like I need to find a bracket for the fuel pump and all of the interior ducting/bulkhead brackets.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Dave, the bracket you want is shown in the red car above- the gold-colored bracket. SWB 911s have the bracket welded to the firewall, the one you want is the one "for subsequent installation."

For a later car install you also need the transistorized firing box.

The interior duct consists of the bracket through the firewall and then you need an electric thermostat housing and electric thermostat, that's the first photo I showed you that goes in the footwell (where the blower is on a later car).

I have 85 Webasto photos I have collected- over the holiday I will be rehabilitating my wiring harness and will throw up some photos of that.

Dave once you figure out what you need holler, I have a couple parts heaters.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Does anyone have a long wheelbase car with a Webasto that could snap some pictures of how the ducts are routed in the tunk area over to the drivers side? Actually, any pics of a lwb install would be very helpfull.
    Does anyone have a accy bracket for the fuel pump that they would sell?
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Found this diagram of how the ducting works on a LWB car. Note that the ducts simply go up into the ventilation control unit as opposed to being ducted into the interior like they did on the SWB cars.

Pretty interesting to note that the NOS setup in the photo at the beginning of this thread is a later transistorized unit, but has the ducting for a SWB car.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439