Thread: 1967 911 'S Options'

1967 911 'S Options'

Can somebody help me out with what options were available on a 1967 911. I believe I have seen some cars that were originally delivered with S trim for example. In particular I am curious as to know if a standard 911 could be order with an S motor.

Strange question I know, but there is good reason behind it. I am looking at importing a LHD 911 from the USA into South Australia. We have very strict originality rules for LHD registration and everything on the car needs to be period correct and either standard or available as an option to the make, model and year of the car.

I would most likely also need manufacturer or dealer documentation that supports this.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    But what does that have to do with the car being legal? If it's a correct engine for the car and not a 2.5 twin plug, 2.7RS or some atom-smasher 3.8 out back what's the issue?
    Tom,

I agree and it does not actually matter if the car is in its original configuration or not.

However what the local Department of Transport rules state is that all parts of the car (body, trim, transmission, engine, etc, etc) need to either be standard or available as an option for the year and model. They consider the 911 and 911S as different models and therefore unless an 'S' spec engine was available as an option for the 911 they would not consider it 'correct'. These rules are applied to all LHD cars in South Australia. Ridiculously strict and from what I hear more rigid than other Australian states.

If only common sense could prevail!

Dirk

member #1515
    how would they know it was an s motor?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Are you saying you ARE importing a 911 normal with an S engine, or are you just wondering if it could have been built that way in 67? To the best of my knowledge that was not generally possible, other than the usual exceptions for special race/rally equipped cars. I also don't think that in 67 'S' trim on a normal was an option. I will also ask the question,,,,how will they know what the engine is? Do they have access to engine number codes from that far back?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Are you saying you ARE importing a 911 normal with an S engine
    I am looking at importing a normal 911 fitted with an S engine (not as an original option - but recently).

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    how will they know what the engine is? Do they have access to engine number codes from that far back?
    I am not 100% sure about this, however this information is obviously readily available (e.g. the red book). Not something I really want to risk as it would be a costly (and reasonably annoying) to source a car, buy it, ship to Australia, deal with customs and then not be able to drive it!

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    If you have all your research together why don't you approach customs and let them know what your intentions are?
    Tom,

Customs are ok, the South Australian Department of Transport are the issue. I have spoken to them and the rules are very clear. Engine needs to be available as an option on the model for that year, hence my original question on this thread. Exactly how they identify the engine type - they were less forthcoming with this information.

Dirk.