Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audi R18 LeMans Challenger

Audi R18 LeMans Challenger

here is the story: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101210/ALMS/101219989 and here: http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...cat=news|15429
    couple more photos here: http://photos.speedtv.com/gallery/LE.../0gnC3oXda4cb0

The Audi R18 is a coupe! I like that and the fact they fixed the nose, but the fin... not so much. Amazing how far out towards the corners the wheels are pushed. Low polar moment of inertia...
    Last edited by Flieger; 12-10-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Audi Ups the Ante for Le Mans

Perhaps after the recently announced stock sale the guys at Porsche can afford to offer some competition. Otherwise I'll have to root for Peugeot just to break the boredom.

One has to admire Audi for not letting up on innovations...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4...i-R18-TDI.html

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Quote Originally Posted by SWBS View Post
    Perhaps after the recently announced stock sale the guys at Porsche can afford to offer some competition. Otherwise I'll have to root for Peugeot just to break the boredom.

One has to admire Audi for not letting up on innovations...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/4...i-R18-TDI.html

Jim

If Darth Vader were driving a P1 car, that's the car he'd be in...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Oh, so no one looks at my thread. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ans-Challenger

I think it looks good, except for that horrid fin. Looks too much like an F1 car. Much better than the walrus tusked R15+, though.
    The equal sized tires suggests a nimble car, more going for speed in the corners. The wheels at the corners do, too, since they reduce the polar moment of inertia. The smaller engine means less straight line speed so they must make up for it in the turns.

Is the minimum weight lower now that they have smaller engines? I cannot stand minimum weight limits in this era of speed with efficiency. Why would you haul all that tungsten around a track if you did not have to? How much fuel do they burn doing that?

It is time for a visit to the rulemakers from the ghost of Colin Chapman.

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Oh, so no one looks at my thread. . . . .
    Pictures help . . .

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LongRanger; 12-11-2010 at 10:09 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    I think it looks good, except for that horrid fin.
    All of the LMP cars will have the fin and chamfered floor next year to prevent blow overs when the cars get sideways.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Flieger;490067]Oh, so no one looks at my thread.
    My Bad: I did take a look around before posting - My wife says I'm impaired when looking for stuff.

With hardly anything outboard of the axle centers, polar movement is likely non-existant. Yup, the fin does spoil (;->) the profile, but F1, the series formerly know as CART and even Nascar (strake on the roof) have proven it to increase straight-line stability and the tendency to step out in high speed corners.

The "naked" carbon fiber work on this car is downright amazing; Motor Sport meets up with Aerospace.

Jim
    SWBGRUPPE
    Dues Paid Member #279

Doesn't it seem that the drivers vision will be compromised by those big front wheels, and the cockpit moving forward?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Well, you can't see the apex, but you will know right where your wheel is.

The "Acura" being run by Duncan Dayton's Highcroft team used the larger tires, which give far more grip. I had lunch with Marco Werner and Lucas Luhr a while back when they were driving the final iteration of the R10. The rear weight bias of the long TDI and its massive drivetrain made that car understeer like an ice racer. The tall wheels of the R18 dictate a forward cockpit, but the V6 moves mass forward as well, giving the front tires a fighting chance of making a contribution. The anti-blow over fins look awful everywhere...
    Last edited by Nine17; 12-11-2010 at 06:27 PM.