Thread: Thread concerning 3.0 Sc engine CIS in a early car

Thread concerning 3.0 Sc engine CIS in a early car

Can anyone direct me to a thread that covers the complete procedure of putting a 3.0 CIS engine into a early car.
    Thanks in advance.

I'll have some fun here with an outline of what needs to be done. Keeps the mind active, right? ;0
    I won't go into all the details here as you have some experience in 911's right? (wink)

cis fuel lines thru tunnel for supply and return
    cis gas tank recommended , unless you want to starve the pump, shorten its life when fuel level is low
    cis fuel pump
    accumulator filter assembly with bracket for engine compartment
    cis fuel lines in engine compartment for supply and return
    915 trans? if so, no problems with the clutch install on the SC flywheel. Otherwise if fitting a 901, Kennedy makes a flywheel, pp, disc package that works. So the next weakest link is the trans
    oil lines: recommended an external oil cooler in right front fender (or center "rsr" position) . Depending on eventual use, trombone, radiant, or full radiator - all the pieces from a later 911 cooler system can be installed. its tight against the battery box
    cd unit- 6 pin needed to work with the dizzy from the 3.0
    alternator /voltage regulator? if internal, do the mod of removing the oe voltage regulator, diode on the guage indicator lamp
    match oil press and oil temp senders to guage
    get the tach converted for the 6 pin, or swap one in, change the needle to match the other guages
    small oil tank? may want to consider changing to the larger later tanks from 74-89. The extra capacity is nice for spirited use
    match wiring on the 14 pin connector engine to chassis.
    exhaust? you can stay with the stock SC as the car will be pretty quick. But SSi's, two inlet muffler, backdating the engine heat ducting and surround tin will be needed for "backdate" heat. Then you have to change over to the early oil lines too
    otherwise you can run a wire from the aux heat fan on the SC motor to a custom installed switch on the handbrake

There may be other details depending on the chassis chosen. Ask away
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

No clutch or flywheel changes needed on my 71, with the 911 transmission.

I have a few more thoughts:

Go with MSD, instead of Bosch.
    You can get away with stock fuel lines and tank, but don't let the tank run low.
    Stock tach in my 71 works okay.
    I needed 6mm wheel spacers and a little tapping on the sheet metal to get clearance for the oil cooler lines in the right rear wheel well.
    I added 24.1 mm rear torsion bars and factory 18 mm front and rear sway bars, to compensate for the added weight and power
    Car weighs 2404 lbs. with the 3.0 liter and factory sport seats. No sunroof or A/C.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA