Thread: Paypal Fee for sale items???

Paypal Fee for sale items???

Is this not against the Paypal agreement (and possibly state laws) we all agreed to for this service? The fee is no different that that imposed by the credit card company to use their service. Plus Paypal does not recognize this additional cost as a fee, so your making more money for them as the fee you pay is off the total transaction.

From Paypals user agreement:

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment.

I personally won't buy from a seller you charges me extra to pay him/her for the security of getting paid.

Just my 2 cents

Joe D
    1966 911 #302694

You can always send a check/mo (or even a transfer). No fees for the seller, and min. costs for the buyer. BUT I think paypal protects the buyer and not the seller and therefore it makes sense that the buyer should cover the fee. Especially on large amounts.

Just my $.02

RIchard

Paypal absolutely only protects the BUYER!!!

I sold a large item (4 New Mercedes wheels) Listed and "... SOLD "AS IS" with ALL SALES FINAL and NO RETURNS" The buyer decides 3 days later he does not want them before he even gets them (while in transit) and filed a complaint with Paypal. Paypal immediately ZAPS my account for all of the money including the shipping. So I had no money for the wheels and no wheels!

The buyer did return them but it still cost me $148 Shipping PLUS PAYPAL STILL CHARGED ME $68 for the SALE!!! So it ended up costing me $216 not to sell them!

I specify on items for sale that my price is the *net* price. I ask for check or money order. I sometimes have people who want the speed of Paypal and will volunteer to add the fees to get me the net amount. I have not had any buyer refuse to buy from me because of my requirements. Of course, I have a long, researchable history of buying & selling Porsches & parts... Never have had a complaint or item returned selling on eBay, Craigslist or Porsche forums.

In the case above, of a change of mind before receipt, that really sucks. There's no protection against that kind of buyer.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute