• Carburetors

40 30.30%
  • Mechanical Fuel Injection

90 68.18%
  • Other

2 1.52%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Carbs or MFI?

I agree with Allen. If your the car originally came with MFI, it looks like the folks here try to stick with originality. I have had 2 hotrod engines in the past however and both had Webers (40 or 46).
    I love the MFI and if I could build my dream hotrod motor it would have some high butterfly or slide valve injection. Then again, I really like how "raw" the transitions can be with carbs. Popping and spitting raw-ness.
    That said, my 2.4 has the original MFI and will stay that way.

Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by kentf14; 12-18-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I'd rather have the MFI. Also have a car with Webers and it's really a PITA even though they were rebuilt etc. I certainly wouldn't change out to Webers. Finding someone who really knows MFI these days is rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    And the other was Marco's 911ST project. I bet those were the only two early cars there. The rest were water cooled, right? That is the way PCA-SBR seems to be going.

The early cars, and especially the ones with MFI, must be out driving and too busy for the concours.
    No, Max, the ST had a 2.9L with Webbers.

The best thing about MFI is that, for the most part, it's like a Ronco product ... just set it and forget it. It's turn key, virtually bulletproof, not as susceptable to environmental conditions as carburetors and it looks cool as hell. Yes, it's expensive to "buy in" if you're building/restoring and MFI system, but the price of admission is more than justified, in my opinion.

My decision to go with carburetors on my current project has a lot to do with the fact that the car originally came with Webbers, as well as the fact that I need the practice tuning carbs. I spent the money to have Matt at Eurometrix recondition my carburetors, so once they're tuned they'll probably be as perfect as they ever could be ... until it gets hot out or I decide to go up Angeles Crest Highway.

Mechanical fuel injection rules the vintage Porsche roost.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Which car? Euro Carrera = MFI. My 2 911Ts, both have carbs (one has been weberized); the hotrod has Haltech/ITBs, and the SWB Race car has PMOs. One of the two 911Ts will eventually have MFI though...
    Early S Reg #1809

One of the single best things I did to my E was to locate restore and install the MFI system. The Solexes I had on my car had nothing on the original MFI.
    "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

1971 911e
    1978 911sc Targa (Sold)
    1973 911 RSR (Clone)

Carbs on the hotrod, but want want want MFI. Someday maybe...
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Results, so Far . . .

. . . . 5-to-1, MFI in front.

I guess I was expecting that the MFI Guys would step up, be counted --- but I wasn't trying to scare off the Carb Guys.

I can appreciate the what it takes to keep any 40-some-year-old stock induction system running and working properly. Plus, as has been mentioned, any engine work done over the intervening four decades is probably better handled with one option versus the other.

But, regardless of any opinions --- one way or the other --- and regardless of what induction set-up any car originally came with --- and this is definitely NOT about right/wrong, good/bad, original/modified, or anything like that --- I'm genuinely curious . . .

. . . what's the Carb-versus-MFI distribution in The Early 911S Registry.

Rick Kreiskott
    Last edited by LongRanger; 12-17-2010 at 02:31 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by SrfCity View Post
    Finding someone who really knows MFI these days is rare.
    I remember that someone (Sherwood Lee, I believe) put together a list of "MFI Resources" and posted it somewhere on the Early S Registry site (not the forums). This included people who really know MFI.

It used to be on the Registry Home Page, but I can't seem to find it anymore....
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I know there is the thread on Pelican. I will get it for you.

I know of Gus Pfister, Mark Jung, Mat Blast, and I think it is Aaron Burnham at Rennworks who Kundensport uses.

TLG Auto set up the MFI on my car.
    Last edited by Flieger; 12-17-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Actually, it appears there is not a list of technicians on here. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...es-thread.html
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425