Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 962 Hood Crest?

Porsche 962 Hood Crest?

Sorry about the poor picture, it's the only one I have.

Can someone tell me what this is? I have been told it´s a hood crest from a 962....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Henry

Never seen anything like this on a 962. All I've seen were decals that were applied to the rolled edge of the nose in front. Not likely this was ever on a serious race car. Looks like something custom done; not from Porsche factory.
    Jack Griffin
    Dallas, Tx.
    Early 911S #167
    RGruppe #192

'55 356 s/r Outlaw
    '70 914-6 (2.5L owned since '76)
    '85 911 Carrera Cpe.
    '89 911 Speedster (bought new)
    '84 MB 300CD (bought new)
    Gone but great memories - '74 RSR 9114609113

I'm sure some anorak somewhere will jump in to correct me, because there may have been exceptions, but I'm pretty sure that all the the prototypes and endurance race cars ( except 911s ) wore decals, not heavy metal badges.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Dauer 962

962C race car converted to a street car

(and converted back to a race car in 1994, taking the GT and overall win at LeMans).

http://www.geecar.com/1/2pic/962_07.jpg

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...62_le_mans.jpg
    Last edited by Flieger; 12-17-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Yes, it's a Dauer hood badge.

There was a horn button that surfaced a while back (MOMO style) that went for BIG money on Ebay, if I remember correctly.

Considering how few Dauer 962s there actually were, these kinds of items are pretty rare and don't come out of the wood work very regularly.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

The hood crest is from a 1994 Dauer LeMans 962

The hood crest is from a 1994 Dauer LeMans 962. Following is some background and photos following the text.

Dauer Racing (now Dauer Sportwagen) produces the 962 Le Mans from actual Porsche 962 chassis which are stripped down for modification. Components of the bodywork are replaced with slightly revised carbon fibre and kevlar panels. The under tray is replaced with a flat version for better stability at high speeds. The interior sees the addition of a second seat and leather is added to the cramped cockpit, as well as a video screen for DVD playback in later years. Luggage was offered to customers through the addition of a small compartment in the front of the car. A hydraulic suspension system has also been added to meet German ride height requirements.

For a powerplant, the 962 Le Mans would use nearly the same engine as the racing 962: Porsche's water-cooled Type-935 2994 cc Flat-6 with two Kühnle, Kopp und Kausch AG turbochargers. Since the road car did not have to meet racing regulations, the air restrictor was removed allowing for an output of approximately 730 hp (544 kW). A 5-speed racing gearbox was also retained.

The first production car debuted at the 1993 Frankfurt Auto Show. While orders for the cars were taken, Dauer worked with Porsche to develop the two racing cars for the following years' 24 Hours of Le Mans. After Dauer's victory, attention returned to the road cars where at least twelve more were built over the years.

Following rule changes in the World Sportscar Championship in 1992 which saw Porsche 962 numbers dwindle in Europe, including at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Porsche was looking for ways to continue their sports car efforts. Although 962s were still legal at Le Mans, the class in which they ran no longer was capable of competing for overall wins against the top C1 class.
    With the re-introduction of production-based grand tourer-style cars in 1993, Porsche saw an opportunity to exploit a loophole which existed in this new class. Rules set by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest (ACO) which ran Le Mans stated that GT-class cars merely required a road going example, with no specific quantity of road cars specified to meet homologation rules. With Dauer's success in modifying a Porsche 962 into a street-legal car in 1993, Porsche saw an opportunity to bring the 962 back into competition.

With one production car shown to the public in 1993, Porsche had already met that requirement. Another rule in place at the time was the requirement that production-based cars have storage space for a typical suitcase, something which Dauer had been able to do since the road car was able to carry luggage. The flat bottom of the 962 Le Mans also fit with GT rules. Three more modifications were necessary to fully comply: Narrower tires than the 962 had run in Group C, a larger fuel tank (now up to 120 litters), and another air restrictor for the engine, although this one would be larger than the one they had run in Group C.

The flat bottom and narrow tires of the 962 Le Mans would unfortunately hinder the performance of the car over the long laps at Le Mans even with the increased power from the GT-class air restrictor. However Porsche believed that the larger fuel tank they were allowed in the GT-class would allow them to overcome this lack of speed by spending less time in the pits than normal Group C cars, something which is key for an endurance race.

Arriving at Le Mans with the support of Porsche's factory racing team, Joest Racing, Dauer's two cars showed that they lacked the overall pace of the top Group C cars by qualifying fifth and seventh. However their pace in their class was shattering as the next closest GT1-class car could only muster 12th. The race saw Porsche's plan pan out, as the Dauer 962 Le Mans were able to gradually make their way to the top of the standings while their competitors spent time in the pits or succumbed to mechanical woes. In the end, only a lone Toyota 94C-V in the Group C class could contend with the Dauers, taking second place overall. The Dauer 962 Le Mans of Yannick Dalmas, Hurley Haywood, and Mauro Baldi would take the overall win while the second team car would finish one lap behind in third place overall.

Soon after this event the ACO attempted to fix the problems with their GT regulations by setting a minimum requirement for production cars to meet homologation standards. With this, the Dauer 962s would never race again, nor would the normal Porsche 962s as the Group C class was finally abandoned. A total of two Dauer 962 Le Mans racing cars were ever built.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Giannone (Eastern PA)
    Early S Registry #808
    1960 356 Super 90 Roadster
    1966 911 2.0L Vintage Racecar
    1972 RSR Tribute
    1975 Privateer RSR (Diego Febles)
    1997 993 C2S Factory Aero
    1984 962-102 (Coca-Cola / Akin)
    1973 RS Carrera #911 360 1018 (2008 Parade Grand Champion) Sold
    1968 911L #11810414 FIA Group 2 Rallye Car (Destroyed in Fire '08)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9114 (Sold)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9122 (Sold)

I think someone must be reproducing these as I've seen several on german ebay over the past 12 months ...
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Air-cooled to the end
    Quote Originally Posted by andyjboy View Post
    I think someone must be reproducing these as I've seen several on german ebay over the past 12 months ...
    Gotta be. Nice choice to repro.

Ferdinand Magazine
    Porsche Valuations
    1976 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.0: 'The Orange'

Thanks for the replys. I was offered this one for sale. I have no idea if it is a replica, given the provence (seeler) it probably is not. Anyway, I don't think I'll by it, no real use for it.
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
    I don't think I'll by it, no real use for it.
    You're kidding, right?

Mine will be going on my 914/6 or my dad's 911...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687