Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Skis

Curt, fantastic photos. You know, I learned to ski in Aspen (long before the glitz of today) many years ago. Yep, back in the days of long planks - no 223's or 215's, but 205's for Slalom skiing. You really had to know how to use a ski to get on and off an edge to carve them. Hell, I used to crash through the bumps with those friggin' things. I did get to learn to manuever those puppies around pretty darn good though. Shoot, I think I bought some of the last generation, long slaloms - Salomon's hot slalom ski in 203's I believe. And they aren't that old!

Andrew, I will take those off your hands if you are tired of looking at them. Not quite what I was looking for, but they will do. I'll be in touch. Would really love a pair or two of what Strato listed above.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by Strato 102 View Post
    Great pictures, I remember Hank Kashiwa (sp?) was the big pro of that era, with his Hanson boots.
    My single claim to fame in skiing is that I used Hank's boots one time. I live across from a small ski resort. Back around that time period the ski shop had a big summer promotion and they built a carpeted ski ramp outside. Kashiwa was there demonstrating the new Hanson boots and Hexcel skis. He wanted somebody from the crowd to try a few things on the ramp. I was the only one with feet small enough to fit in his boots They were these experimental Hanson Competition boots that came up nearly to my knee. The end.

edit: I have a 2nd claim to fame (shame?). I skied with Phil Mahre at that same small resort during a K2 promotion. We set up a race course with probably a total of 20 gates (that's all the longer the hill was!). I was an instructor and a halfway decent local racer at the time and so were several of my friends. We ran that course for a couple of hours and Phil would consistently beat us by 2-3 seconds!!!! This is on a 20-second course!!! I've got photos of that somewhere .....
    Last edited by CurtEgerer; 12-22-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Soulmates.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rossignol ski co has the distinction of building the top ten best selling skis since those records were kept. Number one best seller in history was the 7S sl. Also included the 7Xk gs, Roc 550 gs, Roc comp, Strato, Strato 102, and Olympic 41. Another great race ski was Kastle just ask the Austrians. It's interesting to note that most of the best selling skis of all time were racing skis. Most avid skiers had a slalom and a gs. Your powder skis were your last years gs skis...all skied in and soft! Also speaking of boots, Lange, owned by Rossignol, has twice as many WC podiums as all other race boots combined. I worked an FIS sl and GS here in Jackson Hole last week and out of 98 elite level J1 and J2 competitors 38 were on Rossignol skis and well over 50% of the field on Rossignol/Lange boots. Unbelievable! Not much has changed. In my mind back waisted French skis as a group was the Porsche of Skiing. Dynamic, Rossignol, Allais, and don't forget the fantastic Dynatsar Omeglas of the early/mid 70's. MERRY CHRISTMAS from snowy JH. Steve

Steve, I'm curious what the typical lengths of slalom and GS skis are these days. What about DH?

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer View Post
    No, I would never cut a pair of VR17s! Those and the K2 VO Slaloms (AKA: 2x4's with edges) were my favorite racing skis for sure. Well, before they invented cheater skis anyway.
    Over the years there were 3 pairs of skis I just couldn't part with, VO Slaloms, Atomic RS635's, and some Rossi race stock 225cm downhill boards. Someday I'll figure out something cool to do with them.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

Pics I took at the 'Toy For Tots' Car Show 3 weeks ago.........

BTW- I don't ski.........
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Curt, current criteria for FIS competitors is based more on gender and turn radius. Several different lengths can built for the same turn radius. The men's GS radius mandated by the FIS is about 28 meters. The most commonly length for GS is around 190cm. For women about 182 or so. Slalom is 155cm for women and 165cm for men. DH and SG are significantly shorter than the old days. About 205cm or so for SG and 212-215cm or so for DH. Hope this helps. My cars are put away for a few months so I'm going skiing. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all! Steve

Tf, I followed that exact same route many, many times. And no Eisenhower Tunnel! I went to Denver University on an extended program due to skiing, climbing and Viet Nam. Eventually the draft caught up so I volunteered. Steve

I first learned to ski on the revolutionary Head standards. Those were light years better than the wooden skis of the day. I haven't done much alpine skiing over the last few winters. Mostly Nordic skiing now, which I really enjoy.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299