Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help: Why two-tone Boge Struts

Help: Why two-tone Boge Struts

Suspension Geeks,

This came off my '67 "normal." Can anyone tell me why the strut and "cap" is both black and red/maroon? Both struts are like this. The (was) gloss black doesn't appear to have any red under it and the red doesn't appear to have any black under it? Thanks.

-Allen-
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Don't have an answer Allen, maybe a previous owner wanting to get the Koni look cheaply? Maybe he stripped off all old paint? Stranger things have happened!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks,

I should have asked, looks like they should be black? Thanks.

-Allne-

I this Allen H..?

356 Boge shocks were painted the funky brown-ish orange you have in the photo.

Somebody must have painted black over the Boge color.

I had Boge struts/shocks on my '70 T back in the day....by '70 they were black.

Are there any makers name or trademark stamped anywhere? My '67S Konis have "KONI" stamped on the upper covers about 8-10mm tall, and they are the funky orange/brown early Koni color.....very similar, although I recall the Boge being "browner" on my C coupe.

Mark Smedley
    R Gruppe #171
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Quote Originally Posted by smedley View Post
    I this Allen H..?

356 Boge shocks were painted the funky brown-ish orange you have in the photo.

Somebody must have painted black over the Boge color.

I had Boge struts/shocks on my '70 T back in the day....by '70 they were black.

Are there any makers name or trademark stamped anywhere? My '67S Konis have "KONI" stamped on the upper covers about 8-10mm tall, and they are the funky orange/brown early Koni color.....very similar, although I recall the Boge being "browner" on my C coupe.

Mark Smedley
    R Gruppe #171
    OMG, Mark posts! Yep it is me. Yes, they are marked Boge on them. brownish orange, do you have a pic? Is it the color of these inserts? Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 12-19-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Update: I am informed that the SWB Boge struts are all (not the cast iron bits at the bottom) red/brown...see photo. Further, I learned that Rustoleum "Professional" #7569 is dead match for the original..after a coat of clear is applied, since the 7569 is flat. Thanks to my friends on the list, now we know! Thanks.

-Allen-

PS The color on the inserts looks too orange, like a Koni orange
    PPS. This photo from my good friend Richard, "304678" I found, not from Richard, but on a Google images search...small world!
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 12-20-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Just out of the oven before Christmas Eve dinner goes in,

Boge Brown, a.k.a. Rustoleum Red Primer (Professional Series can) with a couple layers of clear gloss.
    Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 12-25-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Can I send mine in? :-)

BTW is there a date code?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678 View Post
    Can I send mine in? :-)

BTW is there a date code?

Richard
    I don't see a date code. The identical struts are each stamped T41 and Boge is cast into the bottom casting. The caps are stamped with the Porsche and Boge part number. Update: I found date codes on the caps. 667 and 567. Perfect! my car came off the line in late November 67. Thanks.

-Allen-
    Last edited by Allen Henderson; 12-25-2010 at 10:07 AM.

I think Boges came in different colors. My 68 has Boge's and the struts/dust covers are dark grey. Since the Boge inserts are NLA I used Bilstein inserts and used the Boge dust covers.