Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mooney Porsche Airplane

Walt Mooney was a friend of my father's--they were both into sport aviation here in San Diego after WWII. I met him when I was about 10 years old, back in the late '50s, when they were both members of the Associated Glider Clubs of S. Cal. and my brother and I would crew for my dad on weekends when he flew his sailplane at Torrey Pines and Elsinore dry lake (yes, it was dry back then). I remember one time (I think in the mid-'60s) when Walt lost lift after the onshore breeze died at Torrey Pines and he had to make an emergency landing on the beach, did a ground loop in the sand and fractured a vertebra in his back.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Love it.
    Thanks for your post.

Thumbs up

When I was at the '98 'Year of the Porsche' Monterey event they had a Mooney do'n flyovers for most of the weekend... It sounded JUST like a 911 where you weren't expecting it... above your head...
    .....very cool......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by peekaboo View Post
    In the photos , I'm assuming the white 912 is the 1966 Johannesburg showcar ?

Can anyone shed any light on the rear Brake/turn signal assemblies . Was South Africa unique ? I see no red on the brake bulb area of the lens like a normal ROW lense would have. Also , are those small round reflectors on the lower painted section of the rear bumperettes part of the factory build ? I've never seen those.
    The rear turn signal lenses are just very faded- they were once red just like all the others we have seen. I think the small round reflectors were added by the guy that owns the car. BTW, his mother-in-law bought the car new.
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461

Cool trip and photos Mike, do you suppose he'd be open to a cars-n-coffee trip some Saturday ? Like some of the earlier posts said, the Porsche
    Mooney had a different sound than the normal Lycoming. Heard one years ago and I thought it sounded similar to a VEE type WWII fighter, at any rate it WAS different. Of course we were in the town where Mooney Aircraft are built last Hill Country tour,,,Kerrville
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Cool trip and photos Mike, do you suppose he'd be open to a cars-n-coffee trip some Saturday ? Like some of the earlier posts said, the Porsche
    Mooney had a different sound than the normal Lycoming. Heard one years ago and I thought it sounded similar to a VEE type WWII fighter, at any rate it WAS different. Of course we were in the town where Mooney Aircraft are built last Hill Country tour,,,Kerrville
    I had the same idea when we were leaving yesterday. We're working on it as we speak, or type as the case may be!
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    When I was at the '98 'Year of the Porsche' Monterey event they had a Mooney do'n flyovers for most of the weekend... It sounded JUST like a 911 where you weren't expecting it... above your head...
    .....very cool......
    When Pam and I traveled to our first Parade in Dallas/ Ft. Worth in 1987, A Porsche Mooney was there giving rides. We had to meet up at the airport, sign the waiver , and were one of just a few there taking this opportunity to fly in it. We were thrilled !
    Flew over some awesome pasture land, scattering a few Texas longhorns for good measure. A gorgeous day.

The sound , as Chuck suggested, was totally ethereal. When on the ground looking up, that Baby just sang like a 911, but you were hearing the sound over you and around you, not from a car on the ground.
    We got to stay up an extra stint, because there weren't any riders waiting . Our Pilot ??? Who would have believed......he grew up in ND about 12 miles from the farm where I grew up !

At the Colorado Springs Parade, in 88, the word was out........the length of the line-up was atrocious......several hour long wait. We wish now we would have hung around and went again, as the sound overhead sent chills up your spine when they flew it over the Parade site.

But at the Michigan Parade in Traverse City we went again.

The pilots all raved about the craft, the engine, the whole deal. The plane was as smooth as silk.

Great memories.....Thanks for bringing them all back again.
    Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 12-24-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

For those that are interested see the following website:

www.mooneypfm.com
    Porschemooney

www.mooneypfm.com

Couple of youtube videos of Mooneypfm in flight.

Mooney M20L production plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlnJebxU-g0

DEAFE prototype, used for round the world promotion flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtGAy..._order&list=UL
    Porschemooney

www.mooneypfm.com

Wow, it does sound a lot like a 911 car.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425