Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 911 T 1969, need more power.

911 T 1969, need more power.

Hi,
    I bout a very original 69 T, nice spec from the factory 69,s tank,s interior and some
    more,I planing to look over the engine, and like more power? what is the
    best economic? e cam and s heads? please some good advise to get a fast T.
    Kind regards
    Micke
    Last edited by Mikael Berg; 09-28-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Hi Micke,

I think we would need a little more information about your goals to give good advice. Do you want to keep the car original and add power to the existing engine? How much? What do you consider "fast?" Even to upgrade the 2.0 engine to "S" specs won't be particularly economical, and might gain 40 HP at most. The parts are not cheap, and the cost of labor will kill you if you don't do all the work yourself. Do you have the tools, skills, and shop space for that?

IMHO, you might be better off to take the original engine out and put it on the shelf for some future owner (if it is "numbers matching") and transplant a used 3.0 or 3.2L engine into the car. There is no replacement for displacement if you want to make the car a lot faster, and you would get more bang for your buck going that route, if you are willing to sacrifice originality for the time being.

YMMV,
    TT
    Last edited by ttweed; 12-22-2010 at 07:33 AM.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

I had this same dilemma a few months back and posted for advice: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...he-upgrade-bug

In the end I decided to keep the engine as is and preserve the car as much as possible, with a few mods
    Getting stiffer suspension setup with all new bushings, sway bars, lower the car to euro specs, a slightly more aggressive camber, a little toe out, four wheel alignment, and finally corner balance will make your T a great twisty hugger. Also if you left foot brake you can stay pretty close to your torque band.

As far as straight line we're out of luck
    Last edited by EA911; 12-22-2010 at 09:42 AM.

old softie67S
    Do not modify the original engine, It will take boat loads of money to make that engine fast. TTWEED is giving you good advice about putting the engine on a shelf and shoehorning a larger engine in there.The problem with anything larger than a 2.4 E motor requires remote oil cooling. So how much alteration or non original look you can tolerate is a big part of your decision.

Good Luck

Tom
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

I'll have to disagree with the majority here. It's just a "T", the least valuable of them all... A dime a dozen so to speak. I retained my original motor in my 68 and went thru the motor installing "E" cams and larger "E" .valve heads...and who can tell?

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    I'll have to disagree with the majority here. It's just a "T", the least valuable of them all... A dime a dozen so to speak. I retained my original motor in my 68 and went thru the motor installing "E" cams and larger "E" .valve heads...and who can tell?
    And how much more power did you end up making with those changes? Not enough to make the car significantly faster, I would guess.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Agree with ttweed. I would never take apart a good running 911 engine. Put it on the shelf and look for a deal. 3.0 and 3.2 are the best but they can be a little pricey.

The cheapest deal that I have found lately was a "good" 2.7 with trans and transplanted it with the original webers. The whole project was less than 1000. Of course it sometimes a a little tough to find a "good" 2.7. Good for about 180+ hp and plenty of torque.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    The whole project was less than 1000.
    Now that is a deal for a good engine and matching trans. I would make that swap in a heart beat for 1K.

Edric

[QUOTE=Harvey Weidman;492911]Agree with ttweed. I would never take apart a good running 911 engine. Put it on the shelf and look for a deal. 3.0 and 3.2 are the best but they can be a little pricey.

The cheapest deal that I have found lately was a "good" 2.7 with trans and transplanted it with the original webers. The whole project was less than 1000. Of course it sometimes a a little tough to find a "good" 2.7. Good for about 180+ hp and plenty of torque.QUOTE]

What year/engine nos. were good 2.7's?
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

I'm not sure I know too many that wouldn't want an extra 25-30 horse out of their 110 horsepower "T"