Thread: ignition lock removal problem

member #1515

ignition lock removal problem

Ok I need some help. On my 73, I've removed the shear bolts, dropped the dash to remove the allen bolt holding the lock in the column, but the ignition switch portion is very long and I can't push it through the dash so that I can remove it from the column.
    Should I loosen the column? Or should I just push harder on the switch until it goes through the dash?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

If you still have the plate that is under the shear bolts in the dash, remove it, gives more room to push that switch forward. By the way we don't drop the dash down to remove that allen bolt, the trick is to NOT remove the bolt, just back it out far enough to get the switch out, it's a pain in the butt to get it started in the threads again.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    well I did manage to reinsert the bolt enough that the threads caught. That little dash plate has 2 pop rivets that are actually partially under the dash fascia. I'm sure that that little plate is what is not letting the switch rotate but how did that plate get UNDER the dash? My thinking was that if I loosened the steering shaft it would give me enough wiggle room.
    David

Never have had to loosen the steering shaft David, just drill out the pop rivets and use a small hook probe and get under that plate, get an edge started and it will come out. The plate is really only about the size of the opening, or slightly bigger, it will come out, or sometimes just loose enough that it provides more wiggle room to work out the switch.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    Thanks Ed, Will attempt today.
    David

Aftre removing the two rivets the plate will be free to slide sideways and permit removal. No need to get it from behind the facia.
    Also , turn the key to the "on" position to pull the lock pin in. , if the steering wheel is still on (or off ) turn the steering shaft to free up the lock pin, it could be stuck in the recess in the shaft.
    Rory

member #1515
    SUCCESS! Thanks for the help. The rivets were a bit obstructed, as you can see but I finally was able to drill them out and the switch then came out easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    David

I love stories with happy endings!!
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.