Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1968 Tangerine 912: Active California Black Plates

1968 Tangerine 912: Active California Black Plates

VIN: 12803083
    Engine: 1282888
    Starting Price: $13,912
    Buy it Now: $18,500
    No Reserve

This is a true California car in that it is rust free and has been continuously registered, insured, and driven since 1968. In California if a car is removed from the road for any period of time it must be re-registered, and receives a current California license plate. Otherwise, the original plate stays with the car its entire life, which is the case here. The black plates are registered until February of 2011, so if you are a California buyer and you act quickly you will be able to register the car in time to keep the black plates on it.

The car is all original, save for a single repaint in the same color over 20 years ago. The paint is very nice driver-quality, and a fantastic color which never fails to elicit smiles from passers-by. Porsche referred to the color as both 'Blut Orange' (Blood Orange) and 'Tangerine'. In some of my pictures the car appears 'reddish', but that is only because the color is hard to capture in photographs. Look at all of the pictures and you will see that some show the true 'orange' color better. There are some small dings and dents, but only of the type befitting a loved, driven, and maintained car. As you can see by the pictures, rust is not an issue, and the car will provide many enjoyable years as a high quality driver. If however you desire to take the car to the height of concours preparation, what better candidate than a rust free car in a fantastic factory color?

The engine was rebuilt 2,200 miles ago by one of the foremost 912 mechanics in California. Those of you familiar with the US 912 contingent know that California is the nucleus of all 912 activity in the States. I have all receipts not just for the motor rebuild, but all work dating back until 1987. Records prior to that were not in the possession of the previous owner. The car runs and drives perfectly and has a 5 speed transmission.

The interior is all original, including the factory carpets which are in fantastic shape, testifying to how well maintained this car is. The headliner was professionally replaced in 1987, and still looks new. Additionally, the dashboard is perfect, and the door panels are un-molested by speakers. In fact the original radio is still in the car and works, as does the clock. The only work that I have had to do was to replace the shifter bushings as they had deteriorated as they are known to do. The car now shifts perfectly again.

I would be happy to answer any questions, and provide any photographs that you may require. A deposit via PayPal or wire transfer is required before I will consider the car as sold. Additionally, the car must be paid for in full before I will release it to your transport company. This means a bank check or wire transfer only.

I'm sure I left something out, so please feel free to email me for more details. I have set a reasonable starting price for a car in this condition, so there is no reserve, which I believe is more than fair. I am an early Porsche enthusiast, so I am familiar with the 912 market. Thanks for your time and patience in reading this. If you're in the market for a great car in a fantastic color then this may just be the one for you.

On eBay: Porsche : 912 - eBay (item 150542992785 end time Jan-10-11 07:23:29 PST)

Cheers,
    -Mike

Hi Mike,

Good luck with the sale, but if I may ask. Is it possible to send me a picture of the red sticker on the fan shroud which can be seen in the last picture?

I hope this is ok.

Thanks

Alan
    alan@canfordclassics.co.uk

No problem Alan. I'll snap a picture in the morning before heading off to work.

Cheers,
    Mike

I have received numerous requests for additional underside pictures, which have now been added to the listing. Make no mistake about this, the car spent it's ENTIRE life in California until November of 2010. I hope these pictures clarify that for all. Cheers.

-Mike

Mike, great photos. citrus color looks great offset against the snowe.

best of luck with the sale. i've seen rust-bucket 912s asking for $10k, your car is leagues ahead. Not much boiling 912-hormones in this 911 web-neighborhood, but i can appreciate a r-grupped 135-150hp bored-out 912 might be absolute joy to drive.

reza

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Mike:

Nice car for sure, especially the underside. I've posted a link on the 912 BBS.

John
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

Looks like a good one, reminds me of my '68 911 and it's story. Good luck.

Wow, thanks guys! The car is really, really nice. I'm blown away by some of the emails from people telling me it's only worth $12k. I know the market stinks, but this car is rust free and only has 2,283 miles on the motor and clutch. I want this to go to a 912 enthusiast who knows the incredible value this car is. Provided there aren't any active bids yet, I'd be open to working something out with a buyer who is passionate about these cars but keeps getting priced out of the market. With parts, whats a motor rebuild cost these days, $6k - $8k? Here's what I'm adding to the description:

"Because of the many emails I have received regarding any/all motor & transmission work, here is a copy of the invoice. Basically the clutch and motor are completely fresh and ready to provide many years of trouble free driving.

At Mileage 135,806 (currently 138,089):

1 Crankcase
    1 Crankshaft
    1 Camshaft (wide lobe)
    4 Pistons and cylinders (82.5mm x 9.25)
    1 Flywheel
    1 Pressure Plate
    1 Clutch disc
    4 Connecting rods
    1 Rod bearing set
    2 Rebuilt cylinder heads
    1 Rebuilt Solex
    Assorted engine internal parts

All engine/transmission work performed in 1999. The car has only been driven 2,283 miles since the work was performed. Owned by a woman in Northern California since 1987. She purchased the car with 73,000 miles on it, and drove it daily for many years. After several years it became her second car intended for taking on 'nice drives'.

**Please note that the more expensive replaced engines parts are 'customer supplied' so the cost of the rebuild is significantly lower than it would be if all parts had been supplied by the engine builder.

Feel free to PM or email with any questions."

-Mike

Even some one who doesn't respect 912's could get it, throw in a 3.0 or 3.2, add some suspension mods, and make it into a "912-R-nasty". Nice original color, rust free, and reversible to purest 912 state @ L8R date.
    If you've seen John Thornton's, or the yellow R that was later rolled, you'll know what I mean.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Karl, not only do I know what you mean, but I have a '67 912 at home now waiting that exact treatment.

Stay tuned!

Mike