Thread: 3.8 vario with 6 sp. G50 in a '73 911.

3.8 vario with 6 sp. G50 in a '73 911.

What to do with my torsiontube to get a 6 speed G50 gearbox in?I got an RSR coil-over Billstein susp. so i don't need the torsion bars.I was told that it was the best to put in a G50 torsion tube,and cut out a small part of the middle and place it more backwards to gain an inch(or slightly more)to get the gearbox in.I prefer to use the original torsiontube if possible,so i hope somebody can show me some pics how it can be done.If the best way to do it is with the G50 tube,i guess that's what i'll have to do.
    Marcus.

G50 is longer than the 915 or 911/901. You can cut the middle of your current torsiontube out and just leave it like that if you have an extensive roll cage bracing it. Otherwise, you could just fabricate any sort of bracing that is strong enough to tie the two trailing arm mounts together and resist the moments. The G50 torsiontube center section is very heavy for less costly manufacturing. It just looks like a bent or squished normal torsiontube.

This is another great place to post your question as there is more traffic. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...chnical-forum/
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I did a G50 into a '72 tub and grafted in a G50 torsion tube with reinforcement to the tunnel. That was a 5 speed G50 though. Also had to modify the shift rod as we used a G50 shifter.

I think the 6 speed is longer. What car was the G50 from originally?

I know on Matto's build with a G50/31 Zuffenhaus grafted in a 964 floor and tunnel, this is documented on the PP thread of the build.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ra-reborn.html

Here are two photos of the G50 torsion tube with reinforcing and of the G50 shift rod being fitted.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by boba; 01-03-2011 at 04:50 PM.
    65 356SC Dolphin Gray
    66 912 Green
    69 911E Tangerine
    72 911T GP White
    72 911T Aubergine
    72 911T Lilac
    72 911S Black (voodoo)
    86 911 GP White Targa (now sons)
    90 964C4 Black Targa
    94 964C2 Black Coupe
    08 GT3 Speed Yellow

Engine and gearbox came out an original 993RS, thanks for the pics&link Boba.