Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rendezvous in Paris

Rendezvous in Paris

This film was apparently made in the early 70's. No one seems to know for sure what car was being driven: some say Ferrari, others Lambo, but the car sounds a lot faster than it is. My guess is it is a 4 cylinder small displacement motor with race cams and exhaust. Perhaps a 2002tii? Definitely not a Porsche 911. Maybe a 912 though or a 356.
    Camera mounted on the front of the car and at around bumper level. Paris probably around 6am on a sleepy Sunday morning - well sleepy until he drove by
    Anyone know more about this video (i.e. what car, when it was filmed, etc)?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8Vo8iGLMwk
    Last edited by gruen911; 01-06-2011 at 10:32 AM.

motobecane ? vespa ? i listened thru iphone speaker but almost sounded like a rev happy two stroke

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Ahh yes. Classic bit of film. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the car was actually a Mercedes 450SL (photos of the car with the front bumper mounted camera are out there) the audio was dubbed from another car. Still, an EPIC piece of driving. Makes me want to break the law!

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Shot from the front bumper of a Ferrari. Many many re-duplications have altered the sound.

Full story here: http://www.spiritlevelfilm.com/rendezvous.html
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Here you go. Wikipedia saves the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%27%C3...un_rendez-vous
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

Be aware that when Wikipedia entries say [citation needed] that's an unverified source.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Of course [citation needed]. I do seem to remember finding a picture of Lelouch in front of the camera mounted Mercedes a few years back. I was totally obsessed with "C'était un Rendezvous" for a while
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

I don't speak French, but check out the "Making Of" on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHn5Q15kaIA

There is a period shot @ the 35 second mark with the camera on a Mercedes FWIW.
    Last edited by kentf14; 01-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

Fantastic discovery!

I understand enough French for this, but really, everything is in the visuals.
    techweenie.com

Just realized the car could have been an Alfa as well. Perhaps an early 70's Alfa GT. I just don't believe the car could have been a Ferrari simply because the motor screams like it is wide open for most of the video, yet the car does not seem to be going as fast as one would expect with a high performance Ferrari V12 motor up at the 7000 rpm level.
    Also, I can't believe it's a Mercedes 450 because I have owned a 560SL and the car never sounded even remotely like this, and the big V8 motor at anywhere north of 5000rpm would be going twice as fast as this car - without any performance enhancements