Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rendezvous in Paris

Beautiful piece of art, but still a cinematic illusion !

Images produced by Lelouch's own Merc 6.9l and dubbing sound of Ferrari, driven again the trip for sound of shifting gears (according to Lelouche).
    Discussed already on this board:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=lelouch

Last edited by 911T1971; 01-08-2011 at 06:33 AM.
    Registry member No.773

The car used for this stunt was a Ferrari 275 GTB, which belonged to a movie director who was in Paris directing a film. The driver was a professional race car driver.....I forget his name.

If you go to FerrariChat.com and do a search you'll find out all you ever want to know about the "Rendezvous".

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    Just realized the car could have been an Alfa as well. Perhaps an early 70's Alfa GT. I just don't believe the car could have been a Ferrari simply because the motor screams like it is wide open for most of the video, yet the car does not seem to be going as fast as one would expect with a high performance Ferrari V12 motor up at the 7000 rpm level.
    Also, I can't believe it's a Mercedes 450 because I have owned a 560SL and the car never sounded even remotely like this, and the big V8 motor at anywhere north of 5000rpm would be going twice as fast as this car - without any performance enhancements

Well, the previous thread explains it. Thanks for posting the link. Ferrari sound overdub on a Mercedes tank. My instincts were right. It wasn't a Ferrari being driven. Sound engineer should be given an Oscar though for best soundtrack of a film - ever

Quote Originally Posted by John P View Post
    I feel like a kid finding out there is no Santa Nothing kills a great story like the truth.
    John sums it up
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-06-2011 at 11:32 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by kentf14 View Post
    I don't speak French, but check out the "Making Of" on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHn5Q15kaIA

There is a period shot @ the 35 second mark with the camera on a Mercedes FWIW.
    Thanks kentf14. Really nice video with CL and Journo. They were 3 in the car, and the MB450 was used due to the pneumatic suspension, being soft, was perfect for the camera. CL was driver, as they decided last minute to do it, and do it in one take. Along Av Foch they were hitting 200km/h, along Ch Elysees about 130-150 km/h. Going along R.de Rohan (crossing Rue Rivoli), he had stationed a guy with a walkie talkie to let him know if there was traffic as it was one spot where he would be blind (really small street almost tunnel like) ... he went thru fine, but walkie talkie was broken, so they lucked out that no traffic. Later on they had to make a detour as a truck was blocking their way above Blvd Clichy, so he had to push it all the way to Sacre Coeur as they feared they would run out of film (due to detour at Rue Lepic - film in camera was 10minutes long I believe).
    Car was CL's personal car. After they drove again in a 275GTB in order to overdub with Ferrari sound.

Route was as follows: Bd Périphérique at Porte Dauphine · Avenue Foch · Pl Charles-de-Gaulle · Av des Champs-Elysées · Place de la Concorde · Quai des Tuileries · Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel · R de Rohan · Avenue de l’Opera · Pl de l’Opéra · Fromental Halévy · R de la Chausée d’Antin · Pl d’Estienne d’Orves · R Blanche · R Pigalle · Pl Pigalle · Bd de Clichy · (aborted turn at R Lepic) · R Caulaincourt · Av Junot · Pl Marcel Aymé · R Norvins · Place du Tertre · R Ste-Eleuthère · R Azais · Pl du Parvis du Sacré Cœur.

They probably were hitting the horn, and perhaps put flashing light on car for semblance of police activity, to alert any drivers ahead in early morning light. Supposition based upon overdubbing used and red light reflected in a shot with bus half way through.
    Last edited by karlusmagnus; 01-06-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

I have the Rendevous DVD.

Nothing like listening to movie with the Dolby Surround sound WAILING.

Just makes me thinking about it.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I have a friend that lived in Paris in the 60s, I showed him "Rendezvous" He was unimpressed...I think that drove like that to meet their ladies!
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Quote Originally Posted by karlusmagnus View Post
    Thanks kentf14. Really nice video with CL and Journo.
    This is the truth, not the legend that CL allowed to grow around his little film. As for the sound, if you listen to the dubbing of the "Ferraris" in the Italian G.P. at Monza in Frankenheimer's Grand Prix film, it sounds uncannily like the dubbing of the "Ferrari" in C'Etait un Rendezvous. I've gotta wonder if a 275 GTB was ever involved in the making of the film...

Quote Originally Posted by Nine17 View Post
    This is the truth, not the legend that CL allowed to grow around his little film. As for the sound, if you listen to the dubbing of the "Ferraris" in the Italian G.P. at Monza in Frankenheimer's Grand Prix film, it sounds uncannily like the dubbing of the "Ferrari" in C'Etait un Rendezvous. I've gotta wonder if a 275 GTB was ever involved in the making of the film...
    Have long admired this film and have had the same thoughts about where the soundtrack came from.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT