Thread: Empi chrome wheels

Empi chrome wheels

I have a set of 5.5J x 15 Empi chrome rims on my '68 912. There are four with a date stamp "3/71" and all have the same serial number. The problem I am experiencing is with the inset. They are approximately 1 1/8" inset (making them wider) as compared to a standard wheel. They extra width causes the front tires (185/70/15) to just touch the front fenders during extreme cornering. I am assuming these wheels would work OK for a '69 or later model with some wheel flaring. Anyone know anything about these Empi rims?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Don,
    PM sent. I have a 912 and from LI.

Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914

Don, I see you've also posed this question on a Pelican thread, where there is a bit more info and a very revealing picture from the front of the car. First off, your wheel looks like an original Lemmertz or Kronprinz (KPZ), which were the standard wheels sold with early Porsches. I'm pretty certain that Empi never made a wheel with the raised edge around the slots as the originals have (and as seen in your picture). A picture of the stampings under the hubcap would be very helpful, but lacking that, I can only imagine two scenarios: One, the wheels were remanufactured with an aftermarket (Empi) center having a non-stock offset. Two, you have some type of Empi spacer/adapter between the wheels and the car's hubs. I think those are the only ways you could get a 5.5" wheel to stick that far out of the fender.

Yes, I did post this on PP but thought this group might have some additional insights. Your are correct, there is a "Lemmers" logo on the wheel. There is also an "EMPI" stamping as well so that's a little odd. Also, there are serial number stamping on the hub I'll try to get a good photo of the hub and indicate the markings as soon as I can. The offset is very prominent. The C of A for the car lists "Ventilated Chrome Wheels" as an option. This is everything written on the wheel center (all four rims):
    EMPI AOWX-672
    3/71
    Made in Western Germany