Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay Sale: 1968 S interesting copy

Ebay Sale: 1968 S interesting copy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...item33643597c1

Unit Body/Chassis Condition: This vehicle was completely professionally restored using NOS or original parts in 2002. It was done on a rust free, low mileage California car. All ext. panels are rust and damage free. All ext. panels are properly fitted with the factory original "gaps". The floor panel, unit body and all suspension pick up points are rust and damage free. There is no evidence of accident damage or repaired accident damage. The unit body/chassis is not modified or altered from "factory original" condition. The stamped chassis serial number and riveted VIN tag have been checked and they match the registered VIN.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Luke,

see this thread....

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...5529-1968-911s

the poster, Mike Kieley is a long-time early S member, knows these cars pretty well, actually he's the previous owner of my Ossi blue '69 S, so I'd say his opinion on the car is overall trustworthy....

still, the car in question is pretty interesting to me, too.....
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

I remember the re-bodied RS... is this not the same affair?

Looks like the same car and Vin......different story....... no mention of re-bodying.

1968s

OK, let's sort this out...
    First of all, Raj this is not the car I talked to you about. That one, although the same color and spec, was owned by my friend here in Toronto and sold at Monterey for $78k.
    I saw this current car only once, at the PCA Concours (which it won) - the owner was a nice guy and the car looked really great. It was, indeed, purchased from EC as per Raj's link. I didn't bother to do a forensic examination, but it had the COA and history, so it seems to be the real deal, and, as I said, it looks damn good.

When I first read the post, I bristled because I thought it implied that the car was a fake. Then, on careful reading, I realized that it was actually a valid comment on the wording of the appraisal. Strange wording, indeed, especially with the reference to the "California car", which, of course, a 68S would not have been originally.
    I know the appraiser (And I hope he's not reading this!), and the wording tends to be....to be charitable, "labored".
    And Lewis, surely you remember the appraisal when you bought my "69S - that's him!

So, back into my igloo I go....I emailed the owner and he told me what he's looking for.....big bucks in today's market, and we don't have a low dollar to make up the difference anymore.

Mike

That isn't much clearer....... is the car re-bodied "on a rust free, low mileage California car" or am I being extremely dense?

Read the EC listing - it's not a rebody - the appraisal wording is wacky.

A little of topic, but this- "California car", which, of course, a 68S would not have been originally,- is 99% true, but I know of one. It may have been a tourist delivery, but it was someone in state government who had it in CA in 1968, he sold it to another guy, and I have been trying to convince the other guy to sell it to me for a couple of years. I've known the car since 1975, it has black plates beginning with "X" original to it.

You could have had a 1968 911S new in California... easily as purchasing it new from my Dad (or someone like him) at the time. Or, perhaps you were a soldier or tourist in Europe and wanted one, you just bought it. You could import a Euro model car in 1968 on what's called an "individual entry", and the car was only subject to DOT rules at the time (lighting, and speedo essentially), no EPA. The rules were changed in 1970 I believe. My family owned an unusual euro model 1969 VW that Dad imported. It had no headrests, no smog etc.

E

I'm pretty sure I can get the story. I'd rather get the car:-) It's buried under a whole bunch of stuff, hasn't moved since 1981. Eccentric owner, the last time I found one like that it didn't work out, but I did get him to let me uncover it, so to speak. Original paint. he said he had the original registration, I didn't look for it. I was having a bad enough time as it was not wetting myself. I haven't gone to see him n a while, will next week. (The one that didn't work out was the 1969 Euro Touring Car champion, 65 911, Toine Hezemanns, not sure if I spelled that right, it ended up burning along with about 100 homes while he was deciding about selling it to me).