Thread: Is this engine worth it?

Is this engine worth it?

I have a European T Soft window Targa that I am restoring. All the numbers match from engine, body to transmission. The problem is that the engine, 2.0, has had serious exposure to weather for twenty plus years, with water inside. I have gotten three of the barrels off the pistons, but the other three are rusted solid. Any suggestions on how to get these three off. The crank does not turn, but that could be because these three pistons are frozen in the barrels. On the three that did come off, the rods do move on the crank. Am I fighting a losing battle trying to keep the original case in tack, or should I just get another engine and build it up.

Steve

Since the pistons and cylinders will be junk when you get them off anyway, I'd just take a cut-off wheel to the cylinders and cut them in half length ways. Then you can spread the cut groove, get them off and into the nearest recycling bin.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I've had this experience with a 356 engine. I found one of the pistons was frozen into the cylinder below the mating surface between the cylinder and the crankcase. As I recall, I had to use a chisel and hammer to break up the piston crown, and then break up the piston skirt from within.

If yours is a magnesium case, I would be concerned about how badly the case may have corroded. The aluminum case of that 356 motor was, remarkably, in decent shape. It had been sitting, outdoors, near Buffalo, NY for years.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Follow Ed’s way.
    You are trying to save the crankcase. Everything else is an extra benefit.
    Save what you can and ‘expend’ the unsalvageable.

You can rebuild the engine exactly as original combining other parts, paying attention to casting dates.

You can install a ‘place holder’ engine and transmission while you take the time to build the originals properly.
    This allows you to actually drive the car, not have it sitting, waiting.

In fact a nice carb 2.7S with short gears will spoil you.

Best,
    Grady

pm sent.............
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Hi Steve, it sounds that your car is very original....difficult to judge from far oversees...its all up to you....but if you can save your original engine within reasonable costs I would do it...a car with its original engine is most valuable if you ever......wants to sell it.... I think that Grady made a very good suggestion....Try to find a donor engine and have a fun for a while and than you can do your original engine at a time you want to do it.......

Regards, Govert

I am assuming your T is a 1968 SWT. I just had the same experience with a US 911 SWT, thank you Lars. I'm in Pasadena, give me a holla ( 626-5772557) Curt
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

It sounds brutal but a Sawsall or hacksaw cut down opposite sides of the cylinder and past the piston rings is another way to go. Be sure to secure the cylinders with at least two of the studs to prevent them from rocking and damaging the case. After cutting ,the cast iron barrels can be broken apart but you must be still be careful not to damage the case. Preserving the case intact is the goal.
    Rory