Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet Heidi...1969 Targa Paint/Chassis Restoration.

My game..saving Porsches FHernand's Avatar

Meet Heidi...1969 Targa Paint/Chassis Restoration.

Guy’s, I’m excited all over again. You would think my passion for these cars would subsided however, to the contrary, it only get’s stronger and stronger like the beast within. Meet my latest paint restoration…Heidi.

This 1969 911E Targa was driven by the current owner's mother in the early '70s as a daily driver around town with her kids and into the mountains for weekend ski trips. She grew up in Ludwigsburg, a small town next to Stuttgart - Zuffenhausen, and was regarded by the community as a beauty of the town. It wasn't until she married and moved to the U.S. that she had the privilege to drive the famous Porsche that defined her culture and was built in her home town. As her little boys grew up she would tell stories about the finished 356s lined up outside the Porsche factory and how special and beautiful the cars were. At one point in the mid '70s the car underwent a color change and partial restoration by her husband, but was then put away for many many years until the late '80s. In her excitement to drive the car again she would tell her boys stories about the distinctive sound of an air cooled engine and the thrill of shifting through the gears. She wondered if she still had the sporty touch this car required. Unfortunately, following completion of the earlier restoration, the car was never driven much due to other family circumstances. The love affair had faded and again the car sat for many many years. Now, in her honor and an effort to bring the car back to the way it was remembered, I have the honor to bring her back to her glorious days. Thanks Axel for leaving her in my care. Stay tuned this should be good.

VINTAGE SPORTSCAR RESTORATIONS INC.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    freddie@vsrestorations.com
    (541) 535-3304
    www.facebook.com/VintageSportscarRestorations

What a great opportunity! Thanks for the photos, the period shots of "everyday" use (albeit in some great alpine setting) are always unique and interesting.
    Now, who is willing to drive their '69 up into the snow?!
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Can't wait to see more!

Heidi received a full color change to silver metallic and, after living in the East for some time, the snow and salt accumulated in certain areas of the car. Surprisingly, I have found minimal rust. The major rust issues are found on the inner fender wings, front gas tank supports and pan, lower torsion tube areas, jack points and inner torsion tube. Additionally, at some point, the car got panel replacements such as front fenders, two rear quarter panels and lower outer rocker panels. Unfortunately, the panels were installed incorrectly leaving them, and adjacent panels all out of allignment. Also, the rain and salt wreaked havoc on suspension parts living them worn out and pitted with rust. After a full detailed inspection of the car, the work scope has come to a full suspension restoration with some upgrades, complete underside media blasting and panel replacements finished with three coats of Wurth undercoating, complete bare metal and epoxy coated finish, and completed color change to it’s original Burgandy Red in a high gloss Glasurit top coat finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

Whoever owns this car needs to buy the Targa ski rack Rennman is selling !!!
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

I have lost count of the number of studs I have broken off removing the nuts holding heater flapper boxes on to the chassis. Even the best lubricant at times is no match to corrosion. Since debris, oil and dirt collect around the boxes, rust tends to develop quickly around the studs. It takes little effort to break the studs off since the nut becomes corroded onto the studs. By simply cutting the existing broken stud flush to the sheet metal, one can drill 1/8 inch down into the existing stud with a slightly larger drill bit. I like using a spot welder removal bit to cut around the first panel of the three layered metal. I take my time with this bit since it can easily cut right through all three layers of sheet metal leaving a large hole. Cutting off the head of a 10mm bolt allows you to sink the bolt into the old existing bolt hole. Drilling the larger diameter hole with the spot welder bit, allows you to weld a hot smooth bead around the the stud leaving the bead flush to the first layer of sheet metal. It’s important to keep the weld flush otherwise, the base of your flapper box will not seal properly up against the chassis. It’s a simple fix but may take some time to complete.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

A nice suspension upgrade on this car is the added sway bar. In order to mount your sway bar to your existing control arms, you must attach the pivot pins by welding these on if yours do not already have them. If your arms do not come with the pivots, you simply add them. Most if not all early control arms are marked by a small indentation where the hole must be made in order to slip in the pin. The correct diameter hole saw will allow sufficient space for the pin to drop 1/8 inch inside and have just enough space to apply a hot penetrating weld around the entire pin. I like to grind down my welds so when the arms are back from powder coating, you have a clean install that looks stock. You will also have to attach the sway bar mounts to the lower torsion bar area. Since I had the entire suspension dropped, I had to install the control arms and side spring plates in order to find the exact install location of the sway bar mounts. One thing to remember when installing these mounts is that they must be high enough for good ground clearance and low enough for the transmission to clean the sway bar.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

A few pictures of the returned suspension control arms and brake system from powder coating and plating. They are so nice I hate having to be the one installing them. Yikes!
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304

sway bar mount observation

freddie,
    i wish i had a mom like that!
    love your work, used your painting 101 post on pelican to get the courage to do it myself.
    i may be completely wrong but..
    that rear sway bar mount looks a bit off.
    here's a picture of my oem mount.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Bob, it brings me pleasure to know that you used my series. The mounts I installed are not OEM so they should look different. These mounts I installed fit slightly lower than OEM. Why are the ones on your picture not welded.
    www.vsrestorations.com
    Phoenix OREGON
    Freddie Hernandez
    (541) 535-3304