Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol going to 15%?

Ethanol going to 15%?

Just got this sent to me, looks like we are getting 15% ethanol soon. Anyone concerned about this with old school cars?
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...nol-fuel-cars/

imp. No opinions or concerns on this? Any chance of eroding gaskets or burning up valve guides prematurely? Or efforts to curb these issues?

Yes, certainly I'm concerned, but since I don't really know what the effects will be of another 5% of alcohol it's hard to know what LEVEL of concern to have. My concern is not of eroding gaskets or valve guides but rather of the effects on rubber and injector internals. It may also once again (as the first 10% did) alter the mixture requirements of old engines such as ours. This sure does point out the results of good lobbyists, who never let the facts get in the way of a political plum.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

True on the political front, ugh! Any tricks out there to help curb potentially bad effects of ethanol? For example, a buddy of mine uses Marvel Mystery Oil mixed in his 100LL while operating his C-150 to keep the compression up for annual inspections. What's funny is he always gets good compression numbers. Granted, when a cylinder starts getting low, his mechanic pounds on the rocker arms and valve springs with a rubber mallet until carbon breaks free and then the compression goes up. Not very scientific, but very effective. I also hear of other people loading up on fuel stabilizer to counter ethanol erosion during storage times.
    I also have other buddies that run jet fuel in their diesel powered vehicles (including a VW TDI) and laugh at you when you mention the higher sulfer content. So far the their vehicles run fine, and don't have additional knocking or overheat issues.
    In short, I see and hear these voodoo stories and get the jist of what they are trying to accomplish, but at the end of the day I really know just enough to hurt myself ha ha. I don't want to get experimental with my old magnesium case and MFI unless I get some practical expert advise. Since the rules are changing... again, it looks like it's time to revisit the chemistry on this. Thanks for the response.

(from the linked article) :

"gives consumers the option of purchasing domestically produced renewable transportation fuels and supporting American farmers and ranchers."

What A load of crap. The farmers that grow corn crop for ethanol , I believe , are heavily subsidised by the Fed.

AND corn is made for eating (human or animal feed stock) . Or use the crop space for some other human food crop.

Even forgeting about any direct upfront monetary subsidies :

"Ethanol Fuel from Corn Faulted as ‘Unsustainable Subsidized Food Burning’

David Pimental, a leading Cornell University agricultural expert, has calculated that powering the average U.S. automobile for one year on ethanol (blended with gasoline) derived from corn would require 11 acres of farmland, the same space needed to grow a year's supply of food for seven people. Adding up the energy costs of corn production and its conversion into ethanol, 131,000 BTUs are needed to make one gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTUS. Thus, 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in it. Every time you make one gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTUs.

Mr. Pimentel concluded that "abusing our precious croplands to grow corn for an energy-inefficient process that yields low-grade automobile fuels amounts to unsustainable subsidized food burning". "

-------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't believe anything the bastards say , or try to do (EPA).

corn production for food for the US and overseas exports is now at 60% and the balance is for ethanol.If you are wondering why there is unrest in North Africa and in the far east over food price increases,it is directly traceable to higher corn prices due to diminished crops for export from the US.We are being forced to pay higher prices because the EPA is a dictatorship with no accountability.The lobby pays the politicians in the form of campaign contributions and the consumer gets screwed.Not much new there, is there?
    Member:S Registry #864

spring planting numbers will control.. 50% sold..
    -Jim

'72 911T
    '02 B5 S4 (RS4 Clone)
    '12 997.2 Turbo Manual
    '19 B9 RS5 (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    The ethanol scam is the biggest load of BS ever slung at the American people.

Tom
    No lie. ADM and the "energy independance" minions have done food farmers and the public no favors.
    What we need is a switchgrass or Jerusalem artichoke lobby to counter the BS...

A lot of us boaters with fiberglass tanks got hosed as well. Looks like the class-action got shot down, so we'll have to deal with fresh tanks and re-power on our own. Engines were destroyed by the crap that goes into solution when ethanol reacts with old gelcoat.

FWIW, using Marvel Mystery seems to help with E10 at least in my carb'd cars. But the injected CSL has even been unhappy with 110 Sunoco, which is 10% too. It's all we can get.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

unintended consequences

When you cut production,prices increase.We are the largest exporter of grain and corn in the world.The poor countries are coming unglued over a number of issues, the price of food being one. The map shows startling evidence of this:http://www.zerohedge.com/article/int...nd-price-hikes
    Member:S Registry #864

For as much as we drive, a drum of 100GT Sunoco Unleaded will do the trick. No ethanol, designed to last years instead of weeks and better combustion. For now it costs more but well worth it, since they took the gas out of the gas you will need to explore other alternatives.
    Cole Scrogham
    Porsche Restoration
    911, 912, 911R, RS, RSR, IROC