Thread: A Few Questions

A Few Questions

I am sorry but I am not a 911 owner, and I am sorry to sully your forum.

I do own a BMW 2002, I can't afford a 911... yet. One day, in the not too distant future I will though. I do particularly like the way some of you modify your 911s, there are very few badly modified ones. Many of them have inspired the way I have modified my 2002.
    http://vehicleblog.blogspot.com/

Despite not having a Porsche I do however have some 911 related questions:

I have some Cibie Super Oscars and the white plastic covers look a bit rubbish now and I particularly like the yellow metal ones seen often on early 911s. Like in this pic:

The questions; can you get new ones? if so where from (I am in the UK so that would be easier but not essential)? and can you get them to fit super oscars (I think my spotlights are 7 inches in diameter)?

I also love the little covers seen on exhaust tips of some modified and race cars:

I don't see any particular benefit of them but they look bad ass. What officially are they called and where could I get one?

Third and final question. I am a graphic designer, I would say Erich Strenger is my favourite of all graphic designers... ever. His Porsche posters are exceptional but getting my hands on one seems almost impossible.

Am I looking in the wrong places? Where should I look? Also, how much should I set aside do you think, just on the off chance I should find one.

And as a thanks, I though I should post a few Porsche pics I have taken over the years. Try to make up for not being a Porsche owner.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBeaumont View Post

Third and final question. I am a graphic designer, I would say Erich Strenger is my favourite of all graphic designers... ever. His Porsche posters are exceptional but getting my hands on one seems almost impossible.

Am I looking in the wrong places? Where should I look? Also, how much should I set aside do you think, just on the off chance I should find one.

Will,

I can help with your final question. I love Strenger's work too! So much so that J. Lewandowski and I cooperated on 'Porsche: Die Rennplakate' which came out in 2008.

Finding older factory Porsche racing and product posters isn't a difficult task... you just have to know where and what to look for. eBay is a source for originals but 95% of the posters on there right now are reprints. Reprints (official or not) were never done in original sizes. If you know the correct size of the original you're looking for you should never be fooled by a reprint.

Of course there are other sources for posters.:

Frank Barrett has original posters with prices for sale at: http://www.toadhallbook.com/posterintro.cfm
    Tony Singer doesn't list prices but he has a site with some here at: www.vintageautoposters.com

You can also keep an eye on auctions houses like Bonhams and Automobilia Auktion Ladenburg. Finally, if you know what poster you're looking for you can post a wanted ad here on the registry or the 356 Registry: http://porsche356registry.org/classifieds.html A number of us have nice poster collections and may have a duplicates we'd be willing to sell.

One other thing... Strenger didn't do every Porsche poster even though it seems like he did! Hanns Lohrer, Karl Volz, Herbert Kapitzki designed their fair share too.

Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  92.6 KB
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Will

PM sent

Regards
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

More posters here, too...

http://vpracing.com

Repro Cibie covers here...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...FILTER_TOOL=ON

Not sure that they'll fit your Oscars, though...
    Last edited by 72targa; 01-25-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks Carl, my first (and only) destination was eBay but thanks for the links (and you too Peter). As I expected they are a little out of my price range at the moment but I will start saving.

Strenger did seem more prolific when it comes to Porsche posters, it seems like some more of the iconic ones were by him but I am also aware of Hanns Lohrer (some of his posters might be my favourites).

As for Herbert Kapitzki and Karl Volz, its hard to know which ones they did. I do probably need to buy your book, my German is bad though.

Right then well I will be on the look out for these ones in the not too distant future (in no particular order):

Thanks for the link to the covers too Peter, as you said I don't think they will fit my Oscars. I thought if there was a supplier of those they might have similar versions for Super Oscars, shame they don't. I will keep my eyes peeled, I think I remember seeing a period race picture of MK1 Cologne Capri with similar covers on some Oscars or Super Oscars so I live in hope.

Thanks again guys for your help.

Will,

1. Lohrer
    2. Strenger
    3. Lohrer
    4. Strenger

Porsche: Die Rennplakate is German/English bilingual. Good luck on your hunt!
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Will, regarding the exhaust hoods. I have never seen them previous to the '74 RS based IROC cars and the '74 RSRs. I was puzzled by their function when I first saw them, but having put a dual outlet muffler on a car with a whale tail spoiler, I can assure you they are quite functional.

Without them the hot exhaust is sucked upwards by the peculiar aerodynamics under the whale tail spoiler and will melt the fiberglass bumper, unless the exhaust pipe is extended four or five inches past the bumper. After seeing a couple of the '74 factory race cars with this setup at RRII in 2004, I made a set which cured my burned bumper problem. The ones that I have seen on the '74 cars are a bit simpler than the picture of John G's car that you posted, and not too difficult to fabricate. I cut a pipe that was the same diameter as the exhaust in half lengthwise with a band saw and eased the edges on a bench grinder to get the radius of the examples I had seen.

I discovered when I switched from the whale tale to a ducktail spoiler that the airflow characteristics had changed enough that I didn't need the hoods to keep the bumper from getting burned.

The red car pictured is one of the IROC cars and the green one is an RSR with this setup.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Jim that's fascinating. Thank you and it makes perfect sense too. Knowing their function now has deterred me from wanting to put one on my 2002, it would be ludicrous. I can now admire them from a far knowing that they not only just look good but are useful. If I ever get even the slightest bit of burning on the back of my car the first thing I will do is add one though.

Thanks again Carl, I think I am going to need to get your book. It looks like it will be luck of the draw whether I get a Strenger or Lohrer poster first!

Try Tony Singer at Vintageautoposters.com.
    Bill Morris