Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WTB: ‘65-66 Solex cross bars and linkages

If the plastic base plate isnt phenolic and nit too thick I could CAD draw it and cut it out at work on the laser cutter. Same with the gasket. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by rcnagel View Post
    If the plastic base plate isnt phenolic and nit too thick I could CAD draw it and cut it out at work on the laser cutter. Same with the gasket. Let me know.
    The 356 gasket is fiber, so am unsure if the 911 version is phenolic or not. Regardless of material, I think there are plenty of modern alternatives, perhaps Delrin or UHMWPE, etc. All of these are easy to laser or waterjet cut. My thought was along the lines of what you suggested: making a cad drawing and using it as a path for a CNC cutter. I am skilled at using Solidworks, so was going to make a model. My challenge was access to cutting machinery, but it sounds like you have it covered!

The only wildcard is thickness - finding out the actual thickness is critical, as it sets the base range for adjustability of the actuation rod. With this thickness, I could source an appropriate material and hopefully not have to fly cut the material to get the thickness to spec.

Does anyone have a base gasket that they could throw into a micrometer?
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

After a quick search, Auto Atlanta shows that there are two components: an insulator, which is still available, and a paper gasket, which is not. I am going to order the insulator and then use it as a pattern for a paper gasket. Link:
    http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-69/201-02.php

They also show the part number for the crimp fittings, but say they are NLA:
    cap -SOLEX: 901 108 584 01
    Stoddard doesn't seem to have them, at leat on their website.

Additional info from the VintageWerx website:

About the Fuel Pump Base

Fuel pump bodies for both the early VW and Porsche engines consist of lead-zinc metal castings which are relatively soft yet brittle. With age, they can oxidize and when subjected to continual pressure as from the pushrod, they can warp. On virtually every fuel pump we have seen. the pump base is warped which in turn creates the nearly ubiquitous oil leakage around the fuel pump commonly associated with the 25 hp and 36 hp VW engines but also found on later engines. While we resurface the fuel pump base to create a better fit between it and the resistex base, you must be aware that warping of the base will resume as soon as the pump is put into service again although this progresses relatively slowly. The base can of course be refaced periodically to minimize the affects of the warping in terms of oil leakage. However, eventually enough metal will be removed that the base will no longer be serviceable.
    Last edited by kenikh; 08-03-2011 at 09:37 AM.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Auto Atlanta shows A LOT of oddball solex carb parts in stock, inlcuding the ball pin and bell crank. I am going to roder them and see if they come through:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-69/107-06.php
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
    Thanks, Casey. I'll ping Richard.

Here's a picture of the long rod:

Richard, thanks for clarifying the bellcrank question. As far as the base gasket goes, i have a spare 356 pump and will compare the bases and see if they are compatible. At the very least, it would be relatively easy to have one made, if the thickness could be discerned.

Anybody have a base gasket that they can measure?
    Hi Kenik

Thanks for the picture. Can you measure it? You think you can find one more? ;-)

As for the gasket, it seems that our Paul Abbot has one currently. May be he can measure?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

RIchard

Hi Richard,

I have a base gasket that came with my mechanical fuel pump. I'll see if I can remember to measure it at work tomorrow.

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by 302340 View Post
    hi richard,

i have a base gasket that came with my mechanical fuel pump. I'll see if i can remember to measure it at work tomorrow.

Lee
    thank you!!!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Hi Kenik,

I took four measurement, 3.55 mm, 3.54 mm, 3.59 mm, and 3.57 mm, which gives me an average thickness of 3.56 mm.

Do you know what the two ports that I have labeled 1 and 2 are for?

Thanks!

Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 302340 View Post
    Hi Kenik,

I took four measurement, 3.55 mm, 3.54 mm, 3.59 mm, and 3.57 mm, which gives me an average thickness of 3.56 mm.

Do you know what the two ports that I have labeled 1 and 2 are for?

Thanks!

Lee
    No. 1 I believe is for the line for the cams w/ the oil holes (center lube, not the spray bar kind cams).

RIchard

No. 1 is definitely for the center lube cam oiling line. No.2, I am unsure but will look at my car. If it isn't there I'd say it is for a 68 air injection system.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389