Thread: Steering Wheel Swap

Question Steering Wheel Swap

I recently purchased a 380mm VDM wheel (914.347.804.10 dated 3/70) from a fellow registry member to replace the Momo Prototipo that's been in my car for the past 6 years. The Prototipo is mounted along with its accordion-style rubber covered hub adapter. I also have the turn signal canceler ring along with the horn contact pin from the original 400mm VDM that was on my car when I bought it 6 years ago.

I'd like to swap the Prototipo with the 380mm VDM myself, but I want to avoid getting into any problems/issues as I've never done this before.

Can anyone provide step-by-step instructions (for dummies) on how to remove the Prototipo, and then how to install the VDM wheel?

Thanks,

Frank
    Last edited by FL-Frank; 01-27-2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

I'll try.

I've done exactly this, it is very easy, but you need some basic tools and knowledge.

first, remove the fuse or easier is the relay for the horn, under the hood, behind the fuses are some round relays, but I'm not sure which one is for the horn, on my '69, I believe it is the bottom relay

remove the horn button by getting your finger nail under the edge and popping it out, should be very easy

insert a big socket in the hole left by the horn button, it's pretty darn big, I think around 30mm, but I'm probably off by a couple.

use your knees to keep the steering wheel from turning, do your best to keep the wheel straight.....DO NOT remove the nut all the way, yet.

when the nut is almost off the shaft, work around the edge of the prototipo to slide it off the splined shaft. I suggest you apply even pressue at 3 and 9 o' clock, then switch over to 12 and 6, back and forth, I don't like to bang on it, I like steady, constant pressure, but some may say otherwise.

once you feel the wheel shift towards you, remove the nut entirely, NOW....be sure the wheel is perfectly flat, and slif the wheel off the shaft.

this step is often overlooked.....on the prototipo, you will notice an almost complete circle clip and a spring on the center of the hub where it slides down the splined shaft, this applies pressure on the steering column bearing, you need to transfer that clip and the spring behind it to the new wheel.

slide the new wheel on, making sure it is flat, and that the raised area on the turn signal cancel ring is closer to the turn signal left (aligned on the left)....you do have the horn contact that you will need (not often supplied with the wheel) it is a small spring-loaded plunger thing.

then, install the washer and nut, someone must know the torque setting, but I'd call it "pretty darn tight"

install the horn button or butterfly, it twists on counterclockwise.

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Thanks Lewis! Based on your instructions, I should have the tools I'll need for the job including the torque wrench. Question (probably dumb)....why does the horn fuse or relay have to be removed?

Frank
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

you will honk A LOT installing the horn button and/or butterfly....piss off the wife, neighbors and get a headache.

Except for the headache....sounds like fun! BTW, shop manual says torque the retaining nut to 57.9 lb/ft.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

Good write up Lewis.

Frank - you need to make sure you put the 'cup washer' on the spring the correct way round - this picture should help:

It's also worth replacing the rubber 'spring' in the hornpad if it has hardened (as they often do):

& the horn pad is installed by turning clockwise.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

Thanks for the tips Andy..."a picture is worth 1,000 words"
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

so, frank....you done yet?

Nope....waiting for the 380mm wheel to be delivered. ETA is tomorrow...hope to get to this project on Sunday. Can't do it tomorrow since my car is entered in our local "100 Years of Cars" Show. The featured marque this is year is PORSCHE! Should be fun!
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921