Thread: SWB better handling

SWB better handling

Hi..

I wonder, to get my 911 S -67 go better on the track, what to do ?

Engine has 163,2 WHP...but the rest of the car does not follow up .

Any suggestions....?

B.A
    Norway

Hi,
    have you try http://www.elephantracing.com/? chuck is a great guy to deal with.
    cheers
    tenn
    EarlyS #1342

What a wide open question.

What have you done to the transmission and suspension and what problems (if any) are you having?

I agree with Chris, we need more information about the current status and your proposed use of the car before any good advice can be given.

If your car is a Concours-winner, I would recommend new factory bushings front and rear, a 15mm front ARB from a later car, Koni adjustable shocks at all four corners, 15x6 Fuchs with 195 tires and as much negative camber front and rear as you can get from the stock suspension. While you are in there, if you haven't changed the front ball joints, not a bad idea even though they are expensive ($195 USD each).

If you plan to win races, you should fit a complete front suspension from a 1984-1986 Carrera complete with brakes and a 21mm master cylinder. Monoballs at the strut top. Either roller bearings or polybronze bushings in the front control arms. Brakes will have to be converted to dual-circuit but this is an easy job. In the rear, a set of Chuck's quickchange adjustable spring plates, monoballs for the inboard end of the trailing arm. Smart racing 31mm front bar, 27mm rear bar, 23/31 torsion bars, custom valved Bilsteins. About a $15,000 job if a professional does the work.

The middle way, which is modifying the SWB suspension for greater camber up front, involves modification of the front trailing arms, not really recommended for race use given the cheapness and availability of LWB suspension parts.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    I agree with Chris, we need more information about the current status and your proposed use of the car before any good advice can be given.
    Is this the car we are talking about, from your posts in an earlier thread?

If so, this is a highly modified '67S and looks to have been setup for racing already at some point in its life. My first question for you would be what have you done to fix the "nut behind the wheel?" In many cases, there is more to be gained from driving technique than from modifying the car. What kind of experience and training have you had in performance driving/racing?

... you should fit a complete front suspension from a 1984-1986 Carrera complete with brakes and a 21mm master cylinder.
    My second question is for John concerning this quote--which 21mm master cylinder are we talking about here? The VW Corrado one that Sherwood has mentioned? Or is there another choice available these days?

TT
    Last edited by ttweed; 01-29-2011 at 09:05 AM.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

If that is the car, we need more photos of the components to see what has and has not been upgraded. Then, with more information on how you intend to use the car, we can make suggestions.

I would like to put Rebel Racing's name out there as an option. http://rebelracingproducts.com/Suspension/Steering.html
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Hi Guys....

thx for all the answers, first of all....the car is this yellow on yes, and the only mods that is on the car rigt now is the engine. Suspension/brakes is stock but in good shape.
    The reason for asking is that i have started to buy new breaks and suspension parts, but dont realy know that much about old SWB Porsches. So, for me to put the right parts on the car, i am asking you guys. I will use the car for fast road and som trackdays, no plans to kill it doing this . Been previusly racing cars, but not any more. Still got my racelicense....so maybe som day the wallit and i do agree more.

So, the answers i am looking for is how to make a SWB 911 bit more of a trackday car. Sorry for not been more specific, Norwegian u know ......

Tom, that is a mistake I made. . . I mean the Mercedes Truck 23mm M/C.

And while you are at it, might as well go with RSR type adjustable front struts
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

The adjustable RSR front struts i bought last week .....but does this car lik a soft front and a hard rear setup ?.....or...?

Presuming you have double adjustable shocks.... and there are double adjustable Konis for SWB 911S models.

In my experience the car wants to have soft jounce (compression) and stiff rebound at the front for turn in bite, In the rear it needs absolutely soft rebound to combat rear wheel lock-up under braking and firm jounce (compression) for stability.

Make absolutely certain there is no rear wheel toe-out at any suspension height or you will meet up with Mr. Lurid Oversteer.

johnt