Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio part needed question?

Radio part needed question?

What part do I need to put this back to stock?

Name:  IMG_1782.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  76.2 KB
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

First of all, you have a Euro market Blaupunkt. If this is a US-delivery car, the stock radio had AM/FM buttons with the FM dial going to 108. Your car appears to be a '72 or '73, so the radio's model number should begin with either the letter "B", or the numbers 7630 or 7631. Stereo radios were available at that point, and would be appropriate if your car was originally equipped with left and right speakers. For any of the radios mentioned, including the one you have, you need four items for a stock installation: First, the side brackets. Second, the rear mount. Third, the chrome surround for the radio dial. Fourth, a faceplate that slides into the existing aluminum dash trim and is covered with material to match the trim's cover strip. (You would discard the faceplate that you currently have.) All four of those items are shown in the ebay listing linked below. The radio being sold is period-correct for your car; it happens to be a stereo version. The ebay item does NOT belong to me, however.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blaup...Q5fAccessories

swcarroll, are these hard to come by? Is this asking price typical? $250.00ish. Where would I find the Beige vinyl? I will contact the seller and see if he has just the installation parts so I could at least get the radio I have properly mounted. Thanks, Mark
    Mark Erbesfield
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648

You can find the individual pieces, but some are harder to come by than others. The rear bracket and faceplate happen to be available on ebay right now; see links below. The chrome surround comes up occasionally and normally sells for $35-$75. A set of side brackets were recently advertised on ebay for $25. They are not listed very often. To match the dash trim, I'd suggest finding a discarded door panel with the correct vinyl, and cut a piece to fit. Even though it isn't fully operational, the radio that I referred to in the above post is very reasonably priced, IMHO. If that radio was in good working condition, it would fetch close to $400.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Radio...Q5fAccessories

Quote Originally Posted by swcarroll View Post
    First of all, you have a Euro market Blaupunkt. If this is a US-delivery car, the stock radio had AM/FM buttons with the FM dial going to 108. Your car appears to be a '72 or '73, so the radio's model number should begin with either the letter "B", or the numbers 7630 or 7631. Stereo radios were available at that point, and would be appropriate if your car was originally equipped with left and right speakers. For any of the radios mentioned, including the one you have, you need four items for a stock installation: First, the side brackets. Second, the rear mount. Third, the chrome surround for the radio dial. Fourth, a faceplate that slides into the existing aluminum dash trim and is covered with material to match the trim's cover strip. (You would discard the faceplate that you currently have.) All four of those items are shown in the ebay listing linked below. The radio being sold is period-correct for your car; it happens to be a stereo version. The ebay item does NOT belong to me, however.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Blaup...Q5fAccessories
    I have a 69S USA delivery what code should I be looking for on the side of the Blaupunkt radio to suit and were they stereo at that point or some time later.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

You can find the individual pieces, but some are harder to come by than others. The rear bracket and faceplate happen to be available on ebay right now; see links below. The chrome surround comes up occasionally and normally sells for $35-$75. A set of side brackets were recently advertised on ebay for $25. They are not listed very often. To match the dash trim, I'd suggest finding a discarded door panel with the correct vinyl, and cut a piece to fit. Even though it isn't fully operational, the radio that I referred to in the above post is very reasonably priced, IMHO. If that radio was in good working condition, it would fetch close to $400.
    That rear support is not the same as supplied in Blaupunkts fitting kits of the time same principle but correct bracket hooks into the holes in the supporting plate on the cars bulkhead. You can make your own plate out of gal steel its simple as thats all it was anyway I have a template of an original Blaupunkt facepalte as supplied to porsche for radio fittment if you want it
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Clyde, if your '69 was built in '68, I'd expect it to have a "Z" prefix. If built in '69, I'd expect an "A". Since many radios were dealer-installed, their radio stock may not have turned as fast as their cars, so the date codes don't necessarily match up. I have a couple of stereo Frankfurts with the "A" code, so it's conceivable that a '69 car could have had stereo. Mono radios were still available then, too. You are correct about the difference between the rear mounts. I do believe that either one could be used to secure the radio.
    Last edited by swcarroll; 01-29-2011 at 08:46 PM.

swcarroll, the add for that particular radio does not list a model number. The seller responded with this to a buyer:

Q: What is the serial number? Thanks
    A: There are two numbers; C 2799829 or the one under "Frankfurt St. US" 7 630 629 000. Thanks.

I have seen a site where these radios are sold repaired with ipod connections but I remember them being more expensive than this non working unit of course. Does anyone know the cost to send this radio out for repair?

Restored Blaupunkt sales: http://www.oldautoradio.com/NWindexD...ORSCHE&year=60
    Last edited by merbesfield; 01-30-2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: added content
    Mark Erbesfield
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648

The serial number is the one that starts with the "C". My reference list for Blaupunkt date codes ends with the "B" prefix for '70/'71 manufacture, then transitions to numbers only. I don't know why the "C" prefix isn't included in this list but, judging from the ebay radio, was obviously used. Continuing the sequence, the "C" prefix would represent a '71/'72 manufacture date (the years overlap). That would be an expected manufacture date for a radio in a '72 or '73 car.

Was your car delivered with L/R speakers or just the center dash speaker? That may have some bearing on your choice of a stereo or mono radio. I'm pretty sure the one you have is mono. If you're hooking up an ipod, though, you may really want stereo. Most Blaupunkts have a receptacle in the back that will accommodate an accessory, and adapters for ipods are available to plug into that receptacle. Several vendors sell them on ebay; enter "blaupunkt ipod" into the search box. Note that the adapters are specific for mono or stereo radios.

As for repair costs, I think that depends on the nature of the failure. I can't imagine anyone opening up one of these and troubleshooting it for less than 100 bucks. Mark, I see you've discussed radio repairs on the 912 boards, so you're already familiar with Wilfred (Wilford?) Wilkes. He has a good reputation with early Blaupunkts, and I think you'll save money going to someone who knows them well.

The serial number is the one that starts with the "C". My reference list for Blaupunkt date codes ends with the "B" prefix for '70/'71 manufacture, then transitions to numbers only. I don't know why the "C" prefix isn't included in this list but, judging from the ebay radio, was obviously used. Continuing the sequence, the "C" prefix would represent a '71/'72 manufacture date (the years overlap). That would be an expected manufacture date for a radio in a '72 or '73 car.

Was your car delivered with L/R speakers or just the center dash speaker? That may have some bearing on your choice of a stereo or mono radio. I'm pretty sure the one you have is mono. If you're hooking up an ipod, though, you may really want stereo. Most Blaupunkts have a receptacle in the back that will accommodate an accessory, and adapters for ipods are available to plug into that receptacle. Several vendors sell them on ebay; enter "blaupunkt ipod" into the search box. Note that the adapters are specific for mono or stereo radios.

As for repair costs, I think that depends on the nature of the failure. I can't imagine anyone opening up one of these and troubleshooting it for less than 100 bucks. Mark, I see you've discussed radio repairs on the 912 boards, so you're already familiar with Wilfred (Wilford?) Wilkes. He has a good reputation with early Blaupunkts, and I think you'll save money going to someone who knows them well.
    sw, my COA says "Manual Antenna - Left, w/Loudspeaker & Noise Suppression" so I am not sure what this means. Obviously, the antenna on the left, which is still there. Not sure if that would mean one or two speakers, but the door boxes are cut and have speaker installed. I believe this was not done by the factory? Yes, I remember Wilkes from posts on the 912 board. He does have a very good reputation so I guess he would be the man to send it to. I am early on in the learning stage. There are a number of items that my car will need to get it back to 100% original, but thankfully, none of them are major. First step will be to clean it up and make sure all the mechanics are in order. It has a few oil leaks and that is first on the list.

Name:  IMG_1734.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  68.7 KB
    Mark Erbesfield
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648