Thread: Valuation 1970 911 2.2S Targa

Valuation 1970 911 2.2S Targa

Hi guys,

As this is the most knowledgeable board about early esses, I have to post here.

I am living in Italy, I am aware of the price differences between the two sides of the Atlantic, but if you can give ballpark figures, I know how to translate them.

Ofcourse it's hard to value a car unseen, but I will describe as good as possible.
    I know classic Porsches (912's) but have no serious knowledge about S values.

The car is offered to me privately, so it's not on the internet.

It's a 1970 911 2.2S Targa.
    Chassis and Engine number checks out and are matching. I saw the proof.
    Engine has it's MFI installed, looks clean, sounds ok.

Body color unknown. The little tag inside the drivers door is missing. All other tags are there, even the 2.2 original sticker on the window. Car is now grandprix white, but that's ofcourse not the original color, as there was only two shades of Ivory standard in 1970. And it's a respray, so small chance the grand prix white was a option.

Body is ok and solid. But, it's a Targa, and door gaps are widend a little. Pan looks good, not covered in bodyschutz. No signs of rust. Only a 2 or 3 little bubbles on the right hand fender. Not at the windscreen post, just of side of that.

Interiour: looks pretty original, not worn out. Door 'pockets' missing. Original door cards with basketweave. Regular leather seats with headrests. Looks honost inside as well.

6 inch deep Fuchs. Black paint, but polished spokes. But in good shape.
    Roof reupholstered correctly. Nice fitting.

That's about it.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Last edited by Barwaut; 02-01-2011 at 07:33 AM.

I think that a correct price would be € 52.000,- euro. About €5000, - less than a coupe. And a penalty of € 3000.- for the incorrect respray. But than it should have its manual and maintenance record book, recent history (say at least 5 years so that you have an impression of the way that it has been treated), tools and jack and no accident damage. That's what's paid here in Holland for a car like that.
    Succes with the purchase of this car!

Chris

$45K in USD. Upside of $10K if it is better than it sounds, it will certainly need more than $10K to be a condition 2 car.
    Early S Reg #1809

Ok, thanks for so far.

@Superelfje: Hier ook Hollandsch...

Sorry, not my intention to leave it out, the asking price is 45000 Euro = $62,000

Classic Porsches tend to be 'overrated' in Italy.
    But still I think the asking price is a little steep...

I think it's worth half the asking at best...my two cents
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

How much would be the car if still in original paint or w professional respray incl. color tag, door pockets existing and "roof reupholstered" correctly (they did black or tan/white ?): You would need to add another € 15k or more.
    The downside of the value of this car might be the paint including bubbles. You might check autoscout.de and the for sale section on this board. In any case difficult to judge without photos, though.
    Registry member No.773

I think that in Italy a top quality 2.2S targa (documented, restored to perfection, black plates) should bring €55/60k, and from there you can add up the "right" value. As said, very difficult to judge without at least some photos, but it sounds that this one needs a good 20k invested on...

Ciao

Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Thanks, pretty much what I was thinking.

I think I have to talk some more with the owner.

Foto's are not necessary, that was the point, it's a decent, honost car.
    Not much to be seen as only missing doorpockets and a few tiny bubbles...
    Last edited by Barwaut; 02-01-2011 at 12:08 PM.