Thread: Paint colour for oil cooler

Paint colour for oil cooler

Don't suppose there is a known paint colour for the greeny metallic paint on a front mount Behr oil cooler from a 1970S?

Cheers

Mitchell

Mitchell,

I far as I know the color on the front cooler is the result of a coating or plating process....... maybe someone knows which and what?

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Hi Mitchell,

It is a MIL-Spec elecrtolytic coating process. Many were supplied by Dow Chemical as kits to metal coating businesses.
    The kits are expensive and scaled for production work, so a plater is hesitant to do a one time deal for one piece. The guys at Jerry Woods formerly Morspeed had done a lot with a plater in the Bay Area restoring 908s, 917s etc.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Thanks folks

On a matt surface I think allochrome 1200 would also give a close finish.

Alan

If somebody finds a source for this plating/coating I'd be very interested to hear from you

Hi,

We have and continue to try many different processes to obtain the correct finish in our restorations, in fact I have spent ages on this subject, jobs ranging from RSR frosted fuchs, grey chromate coating on mag, anodising times, chroming, bright anodising etc. On ally we have obtained a close finish to the original using allochrome. For example, here is an ally S caliper, sorry the pic is not the best, but imagine the finish was a little less bright. It is bright because we polished the caliper. With regards to mag, the guys at DOW were the best, I now have some files fr the chemicals used and hope to try DOW 7 and DOW 9 in the next few weeks.

and now the finish on a NOS 2.2S front oil cooler, in my own 2.2S.

HTH

Alan

Thanks Alan.

Excuse my ignorance but is Allochrome 1200 something that can be simply applied (like a paint) is it a process (like cad plating). Googled it without much luck.

Cheers
    Mitchell

RHD 1970S