Thread: MFI throttle linkage setup

MFI throttle linkage setup

I have a 1972 911T Coupe with its original MFI fuel system and to my knowledge it is correctly set up. I also own a 1965 230SL and a 1963 220seb coupe and have in the last few years worked other enthusiast's 1960's Mercedes era MFI cars in quite detail checking and adjusting incorrectly set fuel linkage. The SL113.org forum was a great reference for me in providing a quick 101 (in laymen terms) on how to properly check and set up your linkage. It all starts with the correct length of your linkage rod that goes from the injection pump to the control rod. Then other side of the equation is the throttle body making sure the butterfly is closed. Many times I have found the throttle plate screws tampered with on these old Benz's by people who really didn't know how to properly adjust the idle. It's a very straight forward system that's fairly easily to check. You can reference this on SL113's Technical manual (Linkage Tour)

When I look at my 911 there's alot more going on having 5 more butterflies to name a few. Although my car runs beautifully (its very quick, revs like a jet airplane and makes all the right noises to confirm the car is truely iconic), it seems has run a tad rich in my opinion at lower rpms (under 2500). It's heavy in my brain thought, as I find myself buried in cold ice and snow in upstate ny to think about tuning beautiful Albert Blue for spring roads. I would like to get the skinny on checking the linkage and intake stacks to verify all is correct on the car. I have factory manuals but have still yet to find the part that covers linkage setup.

Do we have any previous posts that have covered this in detail? If so can someone point me in the right direction. I see a recent post regarding some differences but 2.2 and 2.4/2.7 control rod differences. It would be nice to get some good chat going to develop some great reference material for our forum members. It's all part of our quest to maintain the breed as we all seek to find ways to make our cars run even better.

PDP
    Last edited by Perry911; 02-05-2011 at 05:02 PM.